Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....truck was parked in the garage all weekend. Got into it to go to work and no battery power. Charged one battery for 15 minutes and it started. The battery eyes are red in both. Should they not be green, Nothing in manuals??:dunno:

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
OK....truck was parked in the garage all weekend. Got into it to go to work and no battery power. Charged one battery for 15 minutes and it started. The battery eyes are red in both. Should they not be green, Nothing in manuals??:dunno:
Yes, they should both be green but I have seen batteries with red "eyes" that tested perfect. I would take it to Ford and have them checked. They are under warranty.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
did you leave somthing on :dunno:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Once a lead acid battery goes below 10.5 volts or 1.75 volts per cell or so it's toast.

You may get a bit of use out of it but it does not have the rated capacity and will cause starting to be less than optimal and sitting for long periods it will drain. It may test good at Wal-Mart but they don't know squat about testing a battery. If I ever have a battery go dead I replace it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you leave somthing on :dunno:
Went to Ford today and that's what they asked me but as you get old you do have some sort of memory loss.:doh: I swear i didn't leave anything on.:confused: They tested the batteries and did not see a problem. I did find out that the red indicates a not fully charge condition, not a bad battery. So I guess I'll just drive it and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
you might shoot the door latches with wd-40, somethimes the door sensors get fouled up so even if the door is closed the dome light will stay on.

also did you have each battery tested seperately? with a dual battery set up you can have one bad battery and if you test them while hooked togather you will read a good battery cuz the good one will show a charge in the cables.

·
Registered
1 Posts
how old are the batteries? My last only 3yrs. Is your belt old? Of course if you don't have any further problems then I wouldn't worry about it.

I had a similar scenario with new batt(s), but kept discharging. Did some checking and found Idler pulley (keeps tension on serp. belt) was wearing out. Belt slipping, so alternator wasn't charging adequetly- strange thing was the belt didn't make any noise (squeal/chirp).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how old are the batteries? My last only 3yrs. Is your belt old? Of course if you don't have any further problems then I wouldn't worry about it.

I had a similar scenario with new batt(s), but kept discharging. Did some checking and found Idler pulley (keeps tension on serp. belt) was wearing out. Belt slipping, so alternator wasn't charging adequetly- strange thing was the belt didn't make any noise (squeal/chirp).
New truck 11-07. 5400 miles.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
With the battery fully charged and cooled off for a couple of hours the voltage should be 2.12V for each cell.

A discharged battery is 1.75V per cell.

If you test it with an accurate DC Volt meter you can figure the capacity roughly.

2.12 - 1.75 * 6 = 2.22 Volts

Lets say your battery measures 12.4V.

12.72 - 12.4 = .32V

.32 / 2.12 = .15

15% loss of capacity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts