Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight problem now. When I replaced my batteries I stupidly had the passenger -side battery in backwards and it arched-out. There was some smoking from some wires behind my passenger-side battery (behind the battery in front of the coolant container, coming out of a small motorcraft plug). I did get the battery back in and my truck started up but I had 2 visible problems:
1. My computer chip acted as though it wasn't working
2. My radio is dead
I went back and checked those wires and there are 2 that are melted through, basically like they got cut in half.
Could those wires be the root of my problem? All my fuses in the dash appear just fine.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Where are those wire located? You have fuseable links that are wires that act like a fuse. They are a certain wire size so that if you have a short the wire will burn out instead of your electrical or electronic equipment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There appear to be only 2 wires burned through:
They have/had a grey covering and are behind the passenger-side battery in front of the coolant container, coming out of a small motorcraft plug that is mounted to the side of the engine compartment.

........just in front of where the jack is mounted.

I would assume that there isn't a severe amount of damage if my truck runs and is drivable?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Can you trace the wires to their source? Im not sure I was thinking it might have gone to your starting solinoid, but if your truck is running then thats not it. That sounds like a fuseable link. They have different colors to tell you what gauge wire it is.

·
Premium Member
8,231 Posts
I did the exact same thing when changing my batteries a few months ago:doh::doh::doh: Thankfully I didn't mess anything up:tard:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts