Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has been in service over 5.5 years and I still have the original batteries. They still work like there brand new. Should I leave them in with the cold approaching since there over 5 years or replace them. If I do replace them stick with motorcraft since they have been great or do you reccommend something else

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I have had just as good luck with motorcraft batteries in all of our diesels. I only had one set that went bad, took them to ford to have them tested and they replaced them no questions asked. But as far as replacing them, maybe take them to ford and get them load tested and see what they say. If they pass I would run them another half year or so.

·
Registered
256 Posts
WOW! 5.5 years (feel blessed) :)
I live in the tropic with very humid and hot climate, my batteries usually are done in 3 years at max. If your batteries are working properly there's no need to replace it, you can load testing just for the piece of mind. I'm using right now BOSH brand from pepboys (works well).

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My truck has been in service over 5.5 years and I still have the original batteries. They still work like there brand new. Should I leave them in with the cold approaching since there over 5 years or replace them. If I do replace them stick with motorcraft since they have been great or do you reccommend something else
I'm still on my originals too. I was going to get some before winter hits but then I figured since these ones still crank like new I may as well keep them going. Hopefully it doesn't backfire on me :eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'll just keep running them they littterally crank like it was brand new same as super duty

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I would test them and make sure they are good. When they go bad, you can loose a core over night causing your truck to not start when its cold. I lost a battery last winter. I had to get a jump just to start the truck and take it home to replace batteries. I always replace my stockers when they go bad with yellow top deep cycles from autozone.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Id test em as well, otherwise run em til she wont start anymore! Then buy new ones.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yeah, I'd run them until they start to give you problems (slow starts, intermittent starting, etc.).

Just inspect them regularly to make sure the case isn't bulging or leaking.

I'm still on my OEM batteries (unless the previous owner swapped them) and they're 5 years old and running strong.

Get a BatteryMinder or BatteryTender and use it. I have one on my racecar and that battery was always a bear to start. After letting it "condition" the battery, it is stronger than when it was new (no seriously, it barely even drops when cold starting my V8).

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've heard that running these newer trucks on batteries that are on the verge of dying or have died before or if you have had to jump start your truck before can be one of the causes of your trucks computer crashing.
I was just told this by two reputable guys, one owns a shop and the other works at a dealership.

May just be there opinion but they say most of the computers they replaced have been on trucks that were jump started a few times with old batteries.

Mine clicked once before starting one day.... So I bought two optima gel cell batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i personally use DEKA batteries as they are made in USA and i have always had good luck. as of right now i have 2 1040 CCA at 32 degrees and like 900 at 0 degrees i paid like 133 a pop or so.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I replaced my batteries a few months ago as they were also original, I went with Diehard platinum's, which are just relabeled Odysseys. They aren't cheap but IMHO they are the best. Also even though I replaced my batteries as preventative maintenance, I was surprised how much quicker my truck turns over (and therefor how fast it starts), even though my old batteries tested fine, after considering their age, and since I had the means to replace them and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Yet with all that being said I have an over-sized Interstate battery in my 01 ram 2500 V10 and next month it will be 8yrs old. (yes 8 years old) I don't remember what group it is but it was the biggest we could fit under the hood, although I added water and cleaned the battery a couple years ago. Other than that one battery I haven't had real good luck with Interstate batteries.

So just use your best judgement and good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts