Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 6.0 wouldn't start this morning. Jump started no problem. My questions is: do I need to replace both batteries or just one? Which one drivers side or passenger side? I jump started it on the passenger side battery and it immediately fired up.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
IMO i would replace both. If you only want to replace one take it to oreily's or whomever you prefer and have them do a load test on the batteries individually (you will have to disconnect the batteries from the truck. The batteries are tied together in a circut) and see if only one is bad or both.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I agree, it doesn't matter where you hook up the jumper cables. The batteries are connected. You would have to test individually to find the bad one. Most likely they were installed together, they'll die together. I would replace both to be safe. Also check what the alternator is charging at. I just had to replace mine.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree, it doesn't matter where you hook up the jumper cables. The batteries are connected. You would have to test individually to find the bad one. Most likely they were installed together, they'll die together. I would replace both to be safe. Also check what the alternator is charging at. I just had to replace mine.
I agree with this also. My experience has been that if one is bad, the other will soon follow.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'd replace both. If you only do one now, you'll be dealing with this same issue again sooner, rather then later.

Mark

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
do both at the same time make sure they are matched batteries as well

·
Registered
59 Posts
get optima yellow tops if you have the coin.

·
LTJDS
553 Posts
i agree

:agree: do both

1 - 11 of 11 Posts