Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Batteries seem to hold a charge, they were at 11.5 volts this AM after sitting overnight. The starter engages, then drops out immediately. No solenoid chatter like you would get with bad batteries. Sometimes it will engage, then disengage, then engage again, like you were just tapping the key. I got it to start and left it on a high idle for ~45 minutes, voltage was reading ~ 14.5 on the CTS. Shut it down, and it did it again, CTS was reading ~13 v. Tried it a few times and it started.

I'm leaning towards starter, although I think there's a relay that sends the signal to the solenoid, I guess it could be that too.

2012 F350 70k miles

Anybody else have a similar problem?

·
Registered
80 Posts
12.2vdc is a discharged battery.
11.5vdc is a dead battery.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing that gets me, it'll crank just fine if I can get it to stay engaged. Maybe it is a bad cell in one of them. I'm going to start with them, easier to start there and work through the problem solving tree

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
update with your conclusion, once found please :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Primary battery was bad. I guess the secondary had enough juice in it to help out at times if the solenoid would hold. At one point I had a P068A CEL that pointed at the PCM Power Relay, with that I became pretty sure it was a battery issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts