Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say thanks for the info over the years. Read a lot but never posted before.

04 F-250, 6.0, Single Cab, 4x4, 120k miles.

Driving last night and about a mile in my ABS light comes on and no radio power. Then I notice that I have no gauges. Turn around to head back home and the dash lights dim and my airbag light comes on. I shut it off back home and take my wife's car to work.

Went to work on it today and it wont even turn over. Solid click. Dome light, gauges, turn on for a second then off. Take the batteries to the geniuses at my local parts store and they tell me batteries are good but I'm skeptical. Put them back in the truck with a charger on "start assist" and i get half a SLOW rotation out of the starter. Nothing more no matter what I do.

Could be batteries dying and parts store doesnt have a resistor powerful enough to draw on a 850 CCA battery? Could be bad starter drawing to much power but why while I'm driving? Could be alternator but why wouldnt it start on charger? IDK and I've been working on it all day. Grounds look good as do positive cables. Help please! I need this truck for work!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Check fuses under hood. test charging system???? Just had one of my factory installed alts go out and they only indicator was slow starts, tested they both sure enough only one bad but I replaced both. Hope this helps.

Reactions: wfo5762

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive checked most of the fuses but I'll go through them again and tonight I'll pull the alternator and have it checked. It's worth a shot and not that hard to remove. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had the alternator tested and it's bad which is good because it's an easy/somewhat cheap fix. Now for the next question. Should I stick with the standard 110 amp alternator or upgrade to the 140 amp??

·
'consent of the governed'
5,771 Posts
If you are going to upgrade, go big. Try Nations Starter & High Amp Alternator- Best Quality Starter & Alternator Supply!
I have a 275 amp, only need it that big a couple times a year. The rest of the time it is hardly working. Just the way I like it. Either way stay away from autozone, etc. I can warrantee anywhere they say. But if your crappy alternator helps kill your FICM, how much of a deal is that $150 alternator now. Good luck. I would recommend Interstate batteries, but I don't want the haters to come out.:haha:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
:agree: totally went with nation and upgraded both of mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts