Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Excursion Eddie Bauer with 130k miles. Bought it a couple of years ago and been solid until the past few months. The batteries die for now apparent reason. I have had the rig into my local Ford dealer 3 separate times for the same issue, but they cant seem to find anything. They have replaced both batteries, run tests over and over, but say they find nothing.

The problem is somewhat intermittant and I am trying to narrow down any circumstances that would help indicate the problem. Alternator seems fine, and charges the batteries once the rig is started and run for a period. I pull a 28ft travel trailer and got stuck camping and had an RV place even look at it after they got it started.

I can run all day and into the night, then get up in the morning and both batteries are down to as low as 10% capacity. ANYONE got any ideas?
HELP PLEASE!!

W

·
0 Posts
does it usually die after driving at night??? i had the same problem and it turned out to be my alternator... it would charge enough to keep the batteries going during the day, but turn the headlights on and such and the batteries would loose power. start the truck and check the battery voltage, then turn all the lights on and check agian, let run with everything on for about 15 min and see if you have a voltage drop. might not be your problem but its what i ran into. good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just returned from a vacation and ran all night long no problems, batteries fine. I dont use this as my primary vehicle so it can sit in the driveway for several days. But I did some testing a few weeks back, used it everyday for 5 days and evenings, started find in the morning. Then the next day - dead as a door nail!! So far, cant find a common thread. Dealership had it for over a week, left on the diagnostics overnight, let it sit in the sun a couple of days, they said it ran fine every time. Two days after I got it back, it died overnight 3 days in a row. Just driving me crazy !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this exact problem. Mine is an 03 Excursion Limited 4x4. Same exactly... dealership has kept it for weeks at a time and can never catch it. I can drive it for 3 or 4 weeks everyday with no problem and then get in it one morning and its dead. New batteries and I have cleaned and tightened all related connections. Just did it to me again a few days ago. Been fighting this for almost 2 years now. Its done it a total of 11 or 12 times in that time period. I know that original post was from August, have you found anything out since then?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had a problem with my electrical system ended up replacing batteries and alternator. come to find out i talked to autozone, oriellys, and a couple of shops and all of them said that ford had a bad batch of batteries. dealership wont confirm this but the brand new batteries i bought were dead the next day so for the hell of it i warrantied them out and the set i have now is good.
use the odometer test to watch your volts and see what it does. mine started out fine and showed charging when i first put them in. let it sit a couple of hours and it started at 10V and never charged more than that, next morning they were dead. autozones test equipment was trying to say the alternator was bad that the batteries were good. but it was cause the batteries were putting such a load on the alternator that it looked as if the alternator had a low output.
So it seems that they slowly drain but wont charge back up.
Also keep in mind, maybe check all your cables, make sure they're is no cuts or anything, it could possibly be that a cable is grounding out the batteries.

this helped me, hope it helps you out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Intermittent Batteries dying - RESOLVED

I really feel your pain and did all the same troubleshooting. My problem was finally resolved and it ended up being the alternator!! There was an intermittent short (a capacitor I believe) which never showed up on diagnostics until the dealer happen to catch it in the act.

A year ago when I first had the problem, one battery was diagnosed as dead and was replaced. The problem continued to crop up occasionally, then about 6 months later the other battery was diagnosed as dead. Finally, this October, the dealership replaced both batteries under warranty. It lasted a week, then same thing. I told them to keep it until they found the problem, which took almost a week.

One day, the mechanic had just moved it, and noticed a problem, so he quickly got out and the ran diagnostics and sure enough, the alternator was shorting out and killing the batteries. Every other time, all diagnostics showed the alternator putting out 14+ VDC, no problems, everything looked fine.

Once they replaced the alternator, it has been ROCK SOLID!!! All along it looked like it might possibly be the alternator, but it always checked out fine. I actually had it tested at the Ford dealer (several times), Autozone and an RV repair shop in Oregon on vacation this summer, so I know everyone thought it was fine.

My recommendation is to replace the alternator, even if it tests OK. When the short occurs, it drains the batteries pretty fast, and will eventually kill them. Jim Click Ford actually found the problem and didn't charge me for any of the diagnostic time (multiple events), nor for replacing the 2nd round of batteries.

Let me know how it goes for you.

·
Premium Member
13,264 Posts
A couple hours after driving, go out and put your hand on the alternator. If its hot then the alternator is drawing power. This can also be tested by disconnecting the alternator over night. If the batteries keep dying over night try those two things.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Only 6.0 device I've seen killing batteries other than the alternator is the glow plug control module.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts