Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just been drifting thru the last couple of years. Sold the 6.0 and have now found a low mileage 7.3 that Im interested in but have a few questions.
Its a 2002 F350 XLT 4x4 automatic crewcab shortbed, always garaged, washed but never waxed, its a 2 owner vehicle and both owners were elderly and the current owners health has deteriorated badly and the truck just doesnt get driven anymore. Never been tuned or adjusted in any way, has had all recommended services performed by a dealership. Truck has 84k original miles but what worries me is its only been driven 1k miles in the last 5 years. They try to drive it every now and then but 200 miles a year isnt any mileage in my mind.
So, what would I need to look out for, be prepared to fix or replace since the truck has sat alot in the last 5 years? I know the owners and the vehicle personally but should I worry about the transmission or head gaskets or turbo or etc due to its sittting? I have driven the truck recently although I did not tow with it but it ran And drove perfect.
I value your opinion or thoughts on what to be prepared for due to it sitting so long, Thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
I wouldn't be to concerned. My F250 is a little over 20 years old and only has 29,846 miles on it. I take it out of the garage occasionally and put a mile or two on it & then park it again. There are no leaks of any kind anywhere.

If I were you I'd grab it quick!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I personally wouldnt worry about the major components like that. Most likely issues from extended time sitting is small gaskets and o rings. IE, turbo pedestal o rings, rear main seak, ring and pinion seal.

Possible injector issues from bad fuel, although this would probably be a long shot.

My biggest concern would be what critters made their way into the truck and what electrical issues could arise because of them.

Its an almost 20 year old vehicle and regardless of miles, there will be some maintenence that will need to be performed just because of the age. As long as the truck currently runs well, it doesn't have blow by, i wouldn't hesitate to buy it (assuming the price is OK)

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I bought my 01 used. Wasnt touched for almost 2 years. 2nd owned had leg problems and couldnt push the clutch anymore. He put 2 new batteries in and it fired right up. I paid him and drove it from Shreveport Louisana to Jackson Mississippi for the test drive at 10 o'clock in the night. I have had it for almost 2 years and it runs great. My 1995 7.3 sat for 5 years and was never touched. I put new batteries in and it fired right up. I drove it from Pearl Mississippi to Los Angeles and started down the road with at least 5 year old diesel in both tanks. I bought my 02 7.3 with 85k miles on it from Dallas Texas. The original owner hardly drove it and it sat so long mud wasp had built their nest everywhere. I Pulled my trailer behind my 1995 7.3 from los angeles to Dallas, connected my trailer to the 02 7.3 I had just bought and pulled my 1995 back to los angeles on the trailer with the 02 for the test drive. I have put over 80k miles on the 02 so far, been from los angeles to new york and back in it. Dont worry about it. Fire it up and drive it. Change the oil check the fluid levels and change the CPS.

Reactions: GETFURIOUS
1 - 6 of 6 Posts