Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 7.3 CCSB 4X4 2016 6.7 CCSB 4X4
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been shopping and researching intakes for my truck. I know that the K & N filter is bad to use in the stock airbox but in doing research, the Banks filter is basically a K & N filter. Is the flaw with the factory airbox using a K & N filter the problem? Is the Banks or the other wet filters prone to the same problem or is just the design of the factory air box or is it the shape/style of filter and how it is mounted or installed.

P.S. I posted this in the 6.4 performace forum by mistake, I am not sure how to delete it, can someone help.

Thanks,

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Banks box itself is nice, but the general consensus is they are overpriced, and the K&N filter element doesn't do a good enough job of filtering small particles for a turbo diesel. I know the stock airbox+K&N is the worst (the other assemblies are a little better), but I still wouldn't risk using on of their elements on my truck.

I guess you could find a dry Donaldson or something see if you can put it in place of the K&N if you want the Banks housing, but in all honesty you'd be much better off going with a Tymar/DIY (with the correct hydrophobic Donaldson filter) or an AIS. You will save quite a bit of money that way and know your truck is getting excellent filtration and more air than a stock truck will even need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts