Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a banks torque converter on Ebay. I am wondering is someone painted their old one and stuck a bank sticker on it and put in in their banks box.

all the pictures I see have half painted and half billet aluminum. Also they have machined holes. Mine is all red and has studs. How can I tell if I got an actual banks billet converter or a knock-off?

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would scratch a little paint off the bottom section and see if it looks like billet aluminum. if not go get your money back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep thats what I see online. The video on banks website shows a stock one with welded nuts to mount it to the ring gear. This one does not have that, it has studs screwed into it. So it doesn't look stock but it doesn't look like the banks picture neither.

7.3L Power Stroke, '99-03 - Banks Billet Torque Converter

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
yep thats what I see online. The video on banks website shows a stock one with welded nuts to mount it to the ring gear. This one does not have that, it has studs screwed into it. So it doesn't look stock but it doesn't look like the banks picture neither.

7.3L Power Stroke, '99-03 - Banks Billet Torque Converter
I agree. I don't think it is a Banks Billet Converter. Should have holes drilled in it and tapped so you can use bolts to hold it. The factory units have studs like the one in your pics. Here is a link to Banks. Think it has already been posted but oh well. 7.3L Power Stroke, '99-03 - Banks Billet Torque Converter

·
Registered
959 Posts
It definitely doesn't look like a billit converter. Scraping the paint off won't tel you anything. A billit part will have a distinctive shape vs a stamped steel part as you can see by comparing your pics to the pics on the Banks web site.

Did you get it from a private party or a store? Tell them you want proof of what it is or you want your money back. Then leave negative feedback.

That being said the answer to your initial question "banks converter, did I get screwed?" Does it say Banks on it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
That being said the answer to your initial question "banks converter, did I get screwed?" Does it say Banks on it?
:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
That is not a billet converter! Like GTS said, a billet one has a distinct shape and the pics are of a stamped steel converter.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
That sucks if it's a knock off... keep us posted

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I would scratch a little paint off the bottom section and see if it looks like billet aluminum. if not go get your money back.
They don't use billet aluminum, they are billet steel.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I sure hope you didn't get the shaft!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
man it looks like you got burned man i can see rust pits around the studs on the back side of that thing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well good news, I finally got the nerve to call Banks. The sales guy was kinda a jerk but he transfered me to tech and that guy was cool about it. Asked him about converter and he confirmed for me that the ford model does use studs instead of bolts. From the rest of the description I provided he believed that it was a banks converter.

the ones that they show in all the pictures is the cummins model.

Also it is billet steel not aluminum like I originally posted. guess that just came out on accident. billet aluminum is a more common term then billet steel.

So thanks for all the feedback but I think I am good.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
ya the guys at banks get angry when the find out you bought there product from someone but them. i had the same problems. but thats good to know that the problem is solved and yuo didnt get burned

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Man I hope for you it is legit. I have seen a lot of billet converters in my day and that backing plate does not look billet to me but I have been trumped before. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Man I hope for you it is legit. I have seen a lot of billet converters in my day and that backing plate does not look billet to me but I have been trumped before. Keep us posted.
I have to agree with you. Definitely doesn't LOOK billit. But who knows?!

L

·
0 Posts
I have never seen a billet converter with studs..... I think you got some stock reman junk.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
probably some angry Banks employee using their stickers and selling old TC painted and stamped Banks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts