Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
8 for home mechanic, with typical tools found at home.

If you've done stuff like this before and have a shop with all needed tools it's about a 2. I consider it gravy work now...

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Yeah I'm sure there is one...

Basically you take the wheel off. Remove caliper/hang it, take rotor off, remove hub, remove snap ring, remove 3 washers, remove hub bearing assembly, pry axle out, remove bottom ball joint nut, loosen top ball joint nut but leave on w/ 2 threads, douse w/ PB Blaster, use huge pickle fork to seperate knuckle from axle, when it finally drops take the top ball joint nut off, put knuckle in a vise, remove snap ring(s), spray w/ PB blaster, use a peice of steel stock and a BFH to pound out the ball joints.

Use a ball joint tool to put the new ball joints in (use some PB Blaster and emory cloth to clean ball joint bore and a light coating of grease helps), then reverse order.

You should replace the yellow O ring on the back of the Hub Bearing assembly as well as the knuckle seal. It requires a special driver to put it on so just take that to your ford dealer unless you want to fab up an installation driver.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
That's a VERY good writeup, nice find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Send me a PM with how it goes, i never did mine yet. but have done king-pins on trucks before

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
yeah that writeup will be good for an 04. Not that bad of a job. You can rent a ball joint press from most auto parts, the only thing you "need" at home but can still do with out is a bench vice. Makes pressing the ball joints in and out 10 X's easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts