Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, installing my new MOOG ball joints. But the lower joint just keeps spinning when I try to tighten it. The castle nut stays in place and the joint just spins. I've tried looking at posts people have put up on this and many have the same problem but put a floor jack under it and the pressure on the knuckle enables it to be tightened right up... well I tried that...NO luck. I tried jacking it up on different sides of the knuckle and Axle housing and still just keeps spinning. I also tried taking an impact drive to try to get the castle nut past the point on the threading where it seems to be stuck, but still ZERO luck, just keeps spinning.

ANY ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I had the same issue with the MOOGs I installed. Went through all the steps you listed too. The only thing that worked was a impact and letting it spin a bit till it eventually tightened.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had that problem before. If you do the impact trick that sometimes works. Some times there is an internal hex on top of the ball joint to hold it and use a wrench on the nut.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
are you saying its not pressing in?
im confused. i got mine in with an impact.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Return it and try another one if you bought it from a local place.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to update for any guys that may use this post as reference in the future. I ended up getting it to tighten down. I had org. hand tightened the upper castle nut and was attempting to torque the lower one all the way. Well I tried the floor jack thing on every angle possible and no luck. But got it by tightening the top castle nut first to 70 lbs. and then the bottom one tightened right up...no need for the jack or anything. Hope this can help someone out in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts