Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. How long are your ball joints lasting in the 03 6.0L front end? I have a buddy who has an 03 6.0L with 50,000 miles and his ball joints are already shot. I was just curious what you guys have experienced. It seems that the ball joints should last longer than that. Just wondering your thoughts.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,435 Posts
Depending on the driving conditions, but I am hearing 60k to 70k life on average. Then change them out w/ aftermarket greasable ball joints - like MOOG.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had all mine done by ford under extended warranty at 63,000

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. Ya I think my buddy is going to have ford replace the ball joints under warranty. Do the greaseable ball joints usually last longer?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I seen most factory joints only last 30 to 40,000 miles. The factory ones are not greeseable and with all that weight of the diesel on them they don't last

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Make sure they give him both the top and bottom greesable. My o1 only had greeseable joints on the bottom, and you had to screw the zirk in and greese it and then take it out and put a plugg in it because the zirk hung really low. but on my 04 i leave both top and bottom zirk in all the time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
so what are the symptoms of a ball joint that is on its way out im at 90k miles here

·
Registered
530 Posts
symptom of a failing joint will be seen on the front tires, it will look like the tread is being worn on every over one. Also the steering will shimmy similar to the death wobble that has been talked about on this forum in the past.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I will tell him to make sure they give him greaseable ball joints on top and bottom. It makes since that factory joints with no grease will only last so long due to the weight of the front end. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
You can jack your truck up and wiggle the tire and see if there is a lot of slop. My truck would make a thud at the end of a complete stop

·
Registered
67 Posts
i was getting noise in my steering at low speeds, my buddy heard it and told me to get them looked at cause his 02 F350 made the same noise when his were bad

·
Registered
64 Posts
Symphtoms of bad ball joints are, squeaking or squealing sound when turning wile going slow, a thump when you come to a complete stop, death wobble I have all 3 right now :doh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts