Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some Mickey Thompson 40's...radials atz. Mounted on how wheel 18's. Whats the rule of thumb...can they be balanced or do people running 40's even bother. What about using the liquid weight stuff that you put on the tire. Any tips or tricks

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
DO NOT USE THE LIQUID STUFF!!!!!!! Had a friend try that in a Jeep with 40's and grenaded the rear end (dana 60) Beyond that I'm not sure....

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
yeah u can balance them

·
Registered
699 Posts
When I ran 40s I just chunked a few golf balls in each tire (2-3). IT seemed to work for me. I didn't do a lot of highway driving though.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You got to take them to a tire shop that can do semi truck tires because their balancing machines are larger.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
When I ran 40s I just chunked a few golf balls in each tire (2-3). IT seemed to work for me. I didn't do a lot of highway driving though.
:confused::dunno:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... I am going to go to a local tire place... I called them and they cam balance the 40's...well as good as you can for the size.... Maybe I will try the golf balls :doh:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool...i was told buy a local company (L-- S----) that they wouldn't balance... i didn't think so and thought I would just through it out there

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
go to a big rig shop!

you can balance them, they are hard to do but people do it around here alot

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks guys... I am going to go to a local tire place... I called them and they cam balance the 40's...well as good as you can for the size.... Maybe I will try the golf balls :doh:
You CAN balance 40'' TSL with golf balls I have done it before. It was on a trail rig that i would drive back and forth to the trail about 40 highway miles. Never had any problems with it. Google is your friend.:thumb:
What worked for me might not work for you.
just giving you opinions on diff. ways to balance a tire THAT YOU ASKED FOR

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yea, we balance stuff like this all day at the shop for. Honestly, half the time we just use the stick on weights or bang on weights depending on customer preference and it works out. Also, i've tried playing with some of the bead stuff that we use in larger tow truck stuff and 18 wheeler stuff. I've just lessened the amount of ounces per tire compared to the 22.5's that we see and normally about 6 ounces works. But that stuff only helps at speeds above about 60mph.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
yeah there is the this synthetic stuff called ballance its a real slick powder thats goes inside

·
Registered
765 Posts
My 40's I had on my Z71 balanced out really well, try to find a local 4x4 shop. If they cant do it then surely they can point you in the right direction. It really all depends on the shop, having a machine big enough to do it sometimes doesn't matter as some shops never balance a tire over stock size and have no experience with bigger tires.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys... i will get them balanced when they are put on in a week,,,,,,,,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts