Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently realized that my battery voltage gauge in the cluster is always pegged at 18v, no matter what the truck is doing. The the key is off, the needle drops down to about 11v and goes no further. It would seem to me that the gauge is faulty. I pulled up the volt gauge on my Bully Dog GT and it show just under 13v at idle and when I rev it the number jumps up almost to 14v. So I don't think its the way the truck is sensing the voltage (however that's done).

Has anyone replaced the Voltage gauge in the cluster? Can that even be done? Is there some other way to fix it?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would try to replace the cluster.. in my opinion it would be easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I replace the cluster, wouldn't that alter my odometer? If it would how to I get the new cluster to show the correct odometer reading?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before you do anything that drastic, call circuitboardmedics and see what they think. This could be just a simple repair -> https://circuitboardmedics.com/ford-instrument-cluster-repair/
Thanks for the tip. I'll see what they think about it.

I was also thinking I could grab a cluster from the junk yard and swap it for testing purposes and then if the gauge works right, maybe swap circuit boards or if its possible swap the specific gauge only.

·
Banned
521 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll see what they think about it.

I was also thinking I could grab a cluster from the junk yard and swap it for testing purposes and then if the gauge works right, maybe swap circuit boards or if its possible swap the specific gauge only.

Good idea.. although I don't know how switching a single gauge would work I've never actually opened cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
To me it sounds like it's 180 degrees out. By that I mean the gauge sits at 14 when off so the indicator thinks that's zero and it pegs out because it's trying to reach the normal operating voltage. I'd need to see the diagram but wiring seems wrong to me. It may be wired incorrectly or the gauge internally went bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To me it sounds like it's 180 degrees out. By that I mean the gauge sits at 14 when off so the indicator thinks that's zero and it pegs out because it's trying to reach the normal operating voltage. I'd need to see the diagram but wiring seems wrong to me. It may be wired incorrectly or the gauge internally went bad.

That's exactly what's happening. I've been looking online to funds a way to either recalibrate it or repair it. So far no luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know those needles just pull-off, you might be able to remove that pointer and push it back on at "0"...
Hmm. That's a novel idea. I think I'll try it before I buy the junk yard one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it does pull off, which I'm sure it does as noralph says, it will be keyed. Not sure how many but obviously not dummy proof if it can be installed more than 1 way. Hopefully you can just change needle positions and it's not the receptacle that needs to be put in the right position.

·
Registered
169 Posts
@deezntuz I'll document it when I pull it apart to find out what can be accomplished.

Access would be the only hard part but being miskeyed isn't a big deal as long as you can get hands on it to do the adjustments. Receptacle may have guide pins to insure proper placement and can break. Just another thing to check while your in there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.