Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turbo started sounding another higher pitched whistle when unspooling. Unhooked intake and the turbo shaft has some end play. The propellor moves about 3 /16 on an inch in and out. Spins good and no up and down slop... whats the deal? Is the turbo about to crater? it is stock

·
Too cool for school
9,886 Posts
sounds like its coming in contact with the compressor housing :dunno:

pull the intake off.. crank the truck, cut it off, and hop out and watch the impellor until it stops. you'll be able to hear it without all the engine noise

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the sound only comes when the turbo is unspooling. it does almost sound like it could be a rubbing type of whistle. I just rechecked propellor and it spins freely when pushed all the way in and when i pull it all the way out, in regards to the 3/16 " of play in and out

·
Too cool for school
9,886 Posts
the sound only comes when the turbo is unspooling. it does almost sound like it could be a rubbing type of whistle. I just rechecked propellor and it spins freely when pushed all the way in and when i pull it all the way out, in regards to the 3/16 " of play in and out
does it have side to side play?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is no noticable side to side play

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it seems to be spinning freely. its still a bit hot. definitly good all the way in but it seems to go in as it spins when i try when it pulled out

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so what i am reading is there should be no in and out shaft play and there is a snap ring on the exhaust side which should hold it tight?..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, cooled off enough for me to hold it out and spin the propeller. it is definitly rubbing when pulled out. is this fixable

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the wheel is still in good shape

·
Too cool for school
9,886 Posts
Just pull it apart and take a look at it.

Take the 2 bolts on top of the center section , remove Y-pipe, un-clamp the downpipe, and un-clamp the collector flange. will pull right out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am thinking about doing that today. I have been putting off doing the ebpv delete all summer so this will give me a reason to do that aswell. only problem is I wont have funds to replace if necesssary for a few weeks, tempted to drive it like that till then, just try and keep the boost numbers low... probably a bad idea

1 - 13 of 13 Posts