Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was responding to a motor vehicle crash and all of a sudden got the red "check gauge" light. I looked down and checked and my transmission temperature gauge was all the way in the red and my tow/haul light is flashing. I look up at my X4 and the trans temp is bounching around at near -65 to -75 degrees. So my X4 is reading crazy low but the gauge is showing hot but the X4 maximum temp was about 130. I assume I have a bad temperature sensor but before I drop the pan/fluid again has anyone had this happen? Any chance of a wiring harness chaffing issue? Here is a link to a video on YouTube. As always thanks for any input.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I've had a similar issue but the temp would fluctuate until it warmed up - close to op temp. I bought a new sensor and pulled the pan but never found where that little sensor was supposed to go.
Now I just ignore it. My truck is an 03, also.
Subscribed to wait for the smart people to respond!!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should add that mine works as normal when cold up to about 120-130 then this happens. I was also running about 85 on the interstate when the problem originally occurred.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
You could heat the tranny up and test from the wire at the PCM -or- just put a new temp sensor in and see if that fixes it -- The trans temp affects the fuel and fan operation on the engine

·
Premium Member
11,685 Posts
You need a trans temp sensor.

It's possible that it could be a chafed wire, but if it is consistently doing the same thing, the sensor is most likely the problem. It's not that hard to change. Just a little bit of a pain pulling the pan, but with the drain plug on the 5R110, it shouldn't be too messy.

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I figure its the temp sensor but it makes me feel better to have you guys agree. Guess it can't hury anything but my wallet to drain the trans again. Its been less then 10k miles since I did a drain and fill. I can't for the life of me remember what transmission fluid I used. I believe it was Valvoline MaxLife but I'm just not sure. I'll try to source a Motorcraft transmission temperature sensor and go from there.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I figure its the temp sensor but it makes me feel better to have you guys agree. Guess it can't hury anything but my wallet to drain the trans again. Its been less then 10k miles since I did a drain and fill. I can't for the life of me remember what transmission fluid I used. I believe it was Valvoline MaxLife but I'm just not sure. I'll try to source a Motorcraft transmission temperature sensor and go from there.

Replaced temp sensor and everything is back to normal now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts