Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I rear ended another F250 today on a regular street, mustve been going about 30 when i slammed the brakes,

So here are the facts:

After impact i noticed my gawer selector was in R, i put it back in D and drove about 200 ft to a parking lot where i sat idling as we waited for the police, no apparent problems at idle.

After I leave, i immediatly notices that its shaky the takes very long to shift gears, example, overdrive normally would shift between 40 and 50 mph. After accident shifts around 55 mph and noticeable strain. I looked under the hood and bed, no sgns of fluid leakage or bent lines,

However i did noice that where the the driveshaft comes out of the tranny, exposed metal, as in not rusted or dirty like the rest of the shaft, possibly 1/2 to 1 inch of clean driveshaft?

What kind of damage should i expect?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its possible your transmission and engine have shifted on their mounts. Might want to check where they attach to the frame to see if anything shiny has been exposed, or they are obviously bent.

If you hit the other guy hard enough to move the internals of your transmission, you might be looking at some spendy repairs. Check the transmission aroudn the shift cable to see if the adjuster is damaged

·
Registered
52 Posts
If your engine did move then your shift linkage may not be positioned correctly.
What year is your truck?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Being you said your gear indicator was in reverse after the accident. I am thinking that your shift linkage is off. So when you put it in drive your actually putting it into 2nd gear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think that you are on to something, but I know for a fact that if it is 2nd it will not shift at 55mph.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts