Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 04 6.0 that is leaking oil aroung the oil filter cap gasket. i have bought 2 motorcraft oil filters and put the gaskets on. it hold for a bout 20 seconds then makes a air blow sound then the gaskets pushes out and it dumps oil out between o-ring and housing. what am i doing wrong realy needs some help please:doh::doh::doh:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Are you sure that that cap is the stock cap and not the crappy one from Walmart?

Just go to Ford with your cap, match them up, if they don't match, buy the Ford cap and wala! it is fixed.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Since the cap is plastic it is easy to cross thread it. It also needs to be tightened all the way till no gap shows. They also have been know to get a hairline crack at the sealing edge.

·
Registered
911 Posts
With the correct and good oil filter cap and the o-ring on correctly, then tighten the cap all the way down until there is no gap and the cap is snug and the o-ring will be inside the canister and then there is no way the o-ring can push out or the oil to leak. For you to hear air pressure escaping and then see oil, something is broken, or the wrong cap, or the cap is not being installed properly. There is a fine line between goodntite with no gap and BROKE. trust me I know from experience. :wink[3]:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I just reread your post and I think you are pushing the o-ring all the way up past the threads till it hits the flat shoulder, the o-ring goes in the groove at the top of the cap just below the flat shoulder and will follow the threads down into the canister. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Maybe your lpop regulator is stuck.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your right when I tighten it the o-ring goes all the way up too top of cap and it doesn't go down into oil resivoir at all.guess ill be going to the local stealership tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts