Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my Glow Plug Relay is bad, My glow Plugs are bad. I have the new GPR, but I have not obtain the new plugs.

If I install the new relay will it get damaged by the bad glowplugs due to there high resistance.

Also why are glow plugs so expensive.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The GPR will not get damaged, since it is the supply for the GPs there is no way you will hurt it. In basic electrical terms by having more resistance in you GPs that means that the circuit now draws less current, again that won't hurt your GPR.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GPR will not get damaged, since it is the supply for the GPs there is no way you will hurt it. In basic electrical terms by having more resistance in you GPs that means that the circuit now draws less current, again that won't hurt your GPR.
I was worried because the higher resistance sometimes means higher draws of voltage and amperage. Which could hurt some electrical components.

·
Registered
281 Posts
the higher resistance sometimes means higher draws of voltage and amperage components.
Kind of but not really in this case. The voltage in this case remains constant (around 12v from the GPR, it is not possible to draw more than 12v from the batter. Higher resistance means there is more restriction to current/amperage flow in the circuit, meaning the current draw will go down.

I'm sure you've seen this before but the basis voltage/current/resistance formula is:

V = I * R Voltage = Current Times Resistance.

Plug in some basic numbers for Current and Resistance keeping Voltage at 12 and you see what I'm talking about works out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts