Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

2003 ford e350 7.3 turbo

Long story short driving down baja we got some bad diesel with water and other crap in it. Caused the truck to sputter and not run. We figured it out got the fuel cleared out and a new filter, we are on the 3rd tank of fuel from different sources. It now runs fine with one problem. Every morning(the temp outside is mid 50's or warmer) when I turn the key it does not act normal. First, all the lights on the dash come on and the IDM clicks, the wait to start light does not come on. The dash lights turn off and clicking stops. I try again and it starts up normal and runs fine all day. It also gives a bunch of error codes. If I clear the codes they do not show up again the rest of the day and it runs and starts normally. Here is a video of it this morning
. Any help would be appreciated.

If I codes

·
Premium Member
8,691 Posts
I don't think that has anything to do with Fuel ;)

THAT's Electrical...

Clicking relays and that starter noise are a sign of Low Current being delivered to the relays and solenoids. That's not going to get better on its own, you gotta find the bad connection that's doing that!

I would start with the Battery Cables, Both batteries, Both ends. Scrape Clean, Grease, and Tighten them All. See if that does it. You don't say the Year of your truck, and I'm not positive about in a Van, but in late 7.3's (some '01's and All 2's&3's) there's a connector where the B+ transitions to the Fusible Links feeding the fusebox does crazy stuff like that (again at least on pickups).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't think that has anything to do with Fuel ;)

THAT's Electrical...

Clicking relays and that starter noise are a sign of Low Current being delivered to the relays and solenoids. That's not going to get better on its own, you gotta find the bad connection that's doing that!

I would start with the Battery Cables, Both batteries, Both ends. Scrape Clean, Grease, and Tighten them All. See if that does it. You don't say the Year of your truck, and I'm not positive about in a Van, but in late 7.3's (some '01's and All 2's&3's) there's a connector where the B+ transitions to the Fusible Links feeding the fusebox does crazy stuff like that (again at least on pickups).
sorry added model. It started with the fuel problem but you are correct could just be bad coincidence. Battery terminals are clean and greased and in great shape. Batteries are new as well as is the alternator and upgraded to high output. We were on a rough dirt road for about a 150 miles so something could of shook loose. Not following the B+ transition part

·
Registered
1999 F250 7.3L Crew Cab
25 Posts
The truck is completely stock other then adding 4x4. No engine mods, deletes or anything like that.
Id start with checking out that P0640 code, there's a single wire that runs from the glow plug relay to the spider for the Air intake heater im guessing some connection to the glow plug relay is loose and causing the no wait to start and the aih code along with the idm not seeing the glow plugs cycling

When I had a loose aih connection before deleting it it caused very similar issues including the rapid relay clicking you hear in the video

1 - 8 of 8 Posts