Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently just replaced my alternator because my batteries were not getting a full charge. I put on a 140 amp for a replacement my question is the same thing is happening that was before I put a new one on. When I start the truck my volts drop down to around 11.4 and it also seems like it has a hard time turning over because of low voltage. Also when I check my batteries there never over half full and there brand new die hard platinum's so I'm sure its not the batteries. I guess my question is what else could be causing this? Or do I need to try another alternator?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Disconnect your batteries, put them on a slow charge, loud test them after they are charged. Dont expect the alernator to fully charge them if they are in bad condition to start with.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Check all the cable connections, maybe your starter is takin a chit.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,137 Posts
Put a clamp-on ammeter on the charge wire and see what amps you are getting when you startup. I bet you will be a little surprised at what you see.

Bottom line, I don't think you have a huge problem - at least not based solely on an 11.4V reading. It is a little low, but MANY systems drop to 11.7 range on start-up. You aren't off by that much. Maybe the glow plug system is taking a little more juice than most.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Put a clamp-on ammeter on the charge wire and see what ampos you are getting when you startup. I bet you will be a little surprised at what you see.

Bottom line, I don't think you have a huge problem - at least not based solely on an 11.4V reading. It is a little low, but MANY systems drop to 11.7 range on start-up. You aren't off by that much. Maybe the glow plug system is taking a little more juice than most.
Yea, you are correct, I was thinking about the op saying his batteries, seemed low and his starter may be dragging, possible shorting out and draining his batteries. I dunno?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,137 Posts
could be a starter dragging, could be a belt slipping a little also (depending on how long the low voltage reading lasts)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts