Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the backup camera in the tailgate that displays on the navigation unit. For a few months now the camera will at times flicker horribly where it is literally unusable. Sometimes I even get an error message that says the camera is unavailable and to take it into service for repair.

However, I have found that if I engage the parking break and release it sharply a couple times the camera will snap back to completely normal function. So, knowing this "fix" I haven't bothered to take the truck in. I am not excited to leave it with them for who knows how many days to find the issue. I need my truck.

I've read some things online that seem to indicate that there is some sort of ground wire tied in with the parking break that might be the issue. Does anyone know anything about that and if so what am I looking for exactly? There are quite a few wires and bundles under there and I really don't know what I am looking at in order to try to fix this myself. It would be nice if it is just some loose connection that I need to fix. Could be easy if I knew what to check.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I have the backup camera in the tailgate that displays on the navigation unit. For a few months now the camera will at times flicker horribly where it is literally unusable. Sometimes I even get an error message that says the camera is unavailable and to take it into service for repair.

However, I have found that if I engage the parking break and release it sharply a couple times the camera will snap back to completely normal function. So, knowing this "fix" I haven't bothered to take the truck in. I am not excited to leave it with them for who knows how many days to find the issue. I need my truck.

I've read some things online that seem to indicate that there is some sort of ground wire tied in with the parking break that might be the issue. Does anyone know anything about that and if so what am I looking for exactly? There are quite a few wires and bundles under there and I really don't know what I am looking at in order to try to fix this myself. It would be nice if it is just some loose connection that I need to fix. Could be easy if I knew what to check.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I would take it in. You shouldn't have to go thru this with the amount of $$$ our Trucks cost. Is it still under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
You have a connector close to the parking brake that the camera feed is routed through to the the radio. Connector C 210...left side of the instrument panel. There two other connectors in the passenger side. One is behind kick panel C 265 and the other is higher up on the passenger side C 2383.

Sounds like connect C 210 might be loose and bad connection or maybe a wire that is chaffed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck is at nearly 40K miles. So, it is beyond the warranty. I did purchase the 200K miles extended warranty but I think that just covers major things like the diesel engine and transmission. I doubt it covers the backup camera.

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
ask them...it might cover it...go check the ford ESP for info on what is covered....i for sure would ask

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'll check at my next oil change which is coming up before long. I am betting they'll want to keep the truck for several days and that is a pain. They kept my truck about 5-6 days just to change out a simple emissions sensor on the exhaust pipe. I think the problem here is that the dealerships are very busy and they don't put your truck in queue unless they have it onsite. That is for any repair work as opposed to service work.

That's why if the fix was really simple I'd rather do it myself and avoid the trouble. But I'll see what they have to say about it being warrantied.

·
Registered
16 Posts
BUMP! Would anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or a pinout for the above mentioned connectors? Mine's doing the same thing (2014 F350 DRW). I'm considering relocating the C210 connector OFF of the parking brake mount to avoid any further issues, but I've first got to identify and correct the deficiency.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BUMP! Would anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or a pinout for the above mentioned connectors? Mine's doing the same thing (2014 F350 DRW). I'm considering relocating the C210 connector OFF of the parking brake mount to avoid any further issues, but I've first got to identify and correct the deficiency.
I have 2015 F250 and it has the same issue. I do think it's a loose connector or bad wire issue. I was homing in on the tailgate area, since that moves so much. But connector in cab sounds like another good option.

I would appreciate if anybody finds the location on their truck, so I can try. I am out of warranty .... 7000 miles over it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 F-250 with the same intermittent backup camera issue. I found the wire harness that is fastened to the e break bracket was the problem area. When the camera fails I reach up under the e break and grab the harness and give it a couple tugs. This has solved the problem, every time, so far and releasing the break with my foot on it so it does not snap out helps a lot. Sooner or later I will dig into the connector up there or have the dealer do it when the truck is in for something else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2015 just started doing the same thing, but it is getting worse. Zero warranty left. Anybody have a definite fix? Got my first error message the other day.

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts
All these people and no one has taken the time to source out the connections mentioned above. :dunno:
@djmaguire

I would take this harness, unplug it and securely plug it back... then tie it up and away from the parking brake

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Sheeeeet... I thought that these new fancy-schmancy trucks were completely wireless!?

The pic that @Heavy_GD posted appears to be the real deal, fellas. Clean, grease, and secure that connector.

So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to take a picture of the proper connector. I appreciate it

·
Registered
97 Posts
GUYS THE CONNECTOR UNDER THE BUMPER right before it comes through the tailgate is loose you’re gonna have to get a couple of zip strips and zipper tight. But before you do that I would get some electrical cleaner and clean it real good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had this problem as well. What it ended up being is the harness that the camera connects to within the tailgate to under the bumper. The harness contains a bare wire wrapped in shielding between splices at either end of the harness(To cut interference from the reverse aid system). There was no corrosion in any of the terminals but after disassembling the harness found a spot where the corrosion was breaching through the shielding (no wire chafing found on the protective plastic tubing). Also a fair warning is when you remove the rear Ford emblem it will break, ford has this listed as a one time use part and must be replaced. There are then 2 long bolts holding in the rest of the housing and 2 Christmas trees holding the harness into the bottom of the tailgate. Both connectors on the harness are single locking tab release as well.

Harness part# FC3Z-14A412-A

Emblem link: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-emblem-assembly-cl3z9942528aa/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9ZXh0ZXJpb3ItdHJpbS1waWNrLXVwLWJveCZpPU1BMDk5MDA1JnI9OSZhPWZvcmQmbz1mLTM1MC1zdXBlci1kdXR5Jnk9MAxMyZ0PWxhcmlhdCZlPTYtN2wtdjgtZGllc2Vs

Emblem part# CL3Z-9942528-AA

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just fixed this issue on my 2014. Replaced the harness that plugs into the camera that goes into the tailgate. Cost $30 on amazon. I tried blowing out the connectors on both ends of the old harness with no luck. As soon as i replaced the cable, crystal clear.

Harness Part# FC3Z-14A412-A

·
Registered
10 Posts
On my 2015 it was where the harness plugs into the camera by the ford oval. What I did was removed the tailgate plastic on the inside so I could access the camera back and plug. I then had the key in the on position not started and opened my back window so I could see the camera. I started wiggling connections and found it to be the back of the camera plug. Put some dielectric grease in and good as new.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2013. screen would show lines, tell me to contact the dealer, or just show nothing. Then all of a sudden it started working again. But now it displays the picture as a mirrored image. Anyone have this problem?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts