Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I was wondering about straight pipeing my 97 PSD. I heard stories about people burning turbos up when they straight pipe them. Is there any truth to that? Also I was wondering is the truck going to be too loud or is it gonna sound good?? Thanks bking:icon_ford:

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Straight pipeing it in my opinion will only prolong the turbo by lowering the egts that much more. Its really not much louder in the cab at all, just louder at the tailpipe so your neighbors might have a new outlook on you:lol:

·
Registered
234 Posts
The biggest, strightest and least restrictive exhaust will be the best for the turbo. That is someone who does not understand diesel engines in the slightest manner.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Yeah I think you will really be pleased with your decision:woot::thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Ya there is no reason to add back preasure to a forced induction system. I dont know who starts that crap. If this was true, trucks like Double Overtime wouldn't have a 12" pipe sticking thru the hood.

·
Registered
234 Posts
To be slightly more technical about it, the exhaust needs to have a "venturi" effect in its flow through the turbine. An higher pressure behind the turbine (manifolds and up pipes) will be relieved to a lower pressure (down pipe) this causes the exhaust gas to accelerate through the turbine spinning the compressor in turn. The more "free" your post turbo exhaust is, the greater the venturi effect becomes in turbine, more boost, cooler egt's, quicker spool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts