Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know this has been answered before but im on my cellphone and its really hard to search, Im gonna be filling up today and found out we have some biodiesel stations around. So whats the difference between B5 or B20 or the other one I cant think of off the top of my head, which is better to use? Or should I stick to regular diesel? Any answers would be great. and its a shell station, so not some side of the road thing.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
the number after teh "B" is the % bio-d in the mix. B5 is 5% bio and 95 % diesel.
Use B100 (100% bio and no diesel) if you want...it won't hurt.
B100 is a problem in winter from gelling up so i think B5 is prefered in real cold climates.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is B100 common? and will i lose hp? or will there be no noticeable diff.?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
At a comercial pump B20 is probably the highest you will see. If its from a biodiesel cooperative you would be able to find B99 or B100. Basically its whatever is cheaper. Bio has a higher flash point but at B0 vs B100 you are talking about less than 10%. At B5 or B20 you wont know the difference, and its good for the motor becuase it has the lubrication that ULSD doesnt have.

I have a 2000 4X4 6spd that I bought months ago with 217k on it, and it been a vegan since the day I bought it, so 5,000 miles on vegi and biodiesel!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fell like right now since I live on base it kinda impossible to start a veggie operation, but I found a B99 location like and hour away. is it worth the drive? And whats some of my other options? and how much cheaper is B20 than B5 be b5 is a 5 min drive, and B20 is a 20 min drive.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do yall know about how much biodiesel runs for price wise?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
commercially like at a regular gas pump its more expensive then regular diesel. call for prices per gallon. As for B99 its prob from a cooperative so it would be cheaper, probably 3.00/gal. I live on base and I have a veggie operation, you need to do some searching and you will find someone else in Little Rock, bet you even someone on base! that is doing it that will work with you. Go to fillup4free.com someone is in your area. I am in southwest texas and I found an instructor pilot that I am working with, and I know for a fact Del Rio, is alot smaller than Little Rock so someone is around there if you really want to get into the whole Vegi thing.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
50,000 miles on vegi here :thumb:
5,000 on my 00 Superduty, I ran my 95 4X4 XLT for 30k before I sold it to my dad to upgrade to a newer faster truck.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im gonna cheack this site out thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Sometime after MAY 09 I will be there for C-130 training, so I expect you to have things worked out and be ready to fill me up!!!!:hehe::hehe:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts