Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys think it is safe to run b100 in a 7.3 psd, the weather areund me drops to around 45 degrees at night and usually 55-70 during the day do you think it would be ok to run b100? if no what is a safe mix

·
Registered
235 Posts
i have to run B70-B50 in the winter. just watch the forecast.leave a 10 gal hole in your tank. if below -0F is coming, fill with kero. or run 10-20% kero in the first place. plug er in.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
yes its safe, what year? as you may want to replace the two blue rubber lines by the fuel bowl with synthetic ones. that temp is approaching borderline. but you should be fine with B75ish. my home made test batch seems to cloud in the upper 30's. its pho.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2000 ... Didn't they change to synthetic rubber in late 90s ... Hopefully I'm right on that because I don't want to have to change hoses lol I'm too lazy for that

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
lol. yes mostly. the general rule we hear is mid 90's and later your good to go, but i know all the way up to 97 there are two very small blue lines that need to be replaced. so that makes me wonder on the 2000. you might message Clay Henry, (if he doesnt read this post soon), im sure he would know. Manky may know as well.

in theory youlll be fine for a period of time. then the hoses will sweat and leak.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there any visible difference that i could look for?

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
FWIW, I used B-100 in my truck when I had access to it. It is a high mileage engine and I had zero problems with it.

Craig

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
on a 2000 you will be fine. Watch out for your filter clogging after 1 or 3 tanks. Bio will clean ANY gunk in your tank and send it to the filter. I would get use to changing the filter (very easy) in case you need to change it on the side of the road. Keep one in the truck with you at all times in case you need it.

depending on the Bio and what its made from it can cloud at different temps. Is this commercial Bio or home brew? I always took a jar of the batch I was using and put it in the fridge to see what it would do. if it got thick, I cut it with some diesel during the winter. I tended to not keep up with my usage so most of the time I ran 50% or more.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input ... its homebrew since there isnt any commercial distributors near me plus i have a 55 gal drum of wvo ... im probably going to run b50 just to be safe for now

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Make sure its washed well and then dried well. I tried just about every option in the Bio world. the BEST way to do it is to do the 5% prewash, let the glycerine settle for 24 hours, drain, heat back up to 150 ish for a hour or 3 to "boil" out the left over methanol (depends on your setup on how effective this will be) then let it settle for as long as you can. then wash with water or the BEST way is to dry wash with your resin/sawdust of choice. I used purolite for a while and had AWESOME results. My buddy uses ecopure (sawdust and some magic mixed in) and has very good results too. Water washing is messy and a big waste of time! plus adding water gives you a strong chance of making a peanut butter snot emolsion

B50 is good (assuming CLEAN and GOOD fuel) and your truck will love it. It will run smoother and quieter and smell nice too :) For me anything over 50% ish made it feel like I was losing a tiny bit of power when pulling. empty I did not really feel much difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts