Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys? I am well aware that the ford powerstroke owners manual recommends no more that 5% biodiesel, but can anyone give me the cold hard facts on running 100% biodiesel. I am new to diesels and the 6.4 is my first so be easy on me. I have been told that biodiesel is cleaner than ultra low sulfur diesel. If this is true, than why will it harm this engine as opposed to the older engines like the 7.3? I have heard that it is bad for the injectors, but if it is cleaned thoroughly before it is run through your fuel lines and pumps than what causes damage to the injectors? How can it be bad for the DPF if it is running so much cleaner? Like I said I'm new to this and would love to run biodiesel in this truck in the distant future, but don't want to grenade the motor doing it. I know if something happens ford will void the warranty, so until it expires I will just research the topic. Any information to answer my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for your information!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
i have a 7.3, so i can't speak too much about the rest. my engine prefers B100 vs dino100. bio does keeps stuff cleaned up better the dino.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Do it: If you get rid of the dpf. and regeneration. I truly believe if you were to run 100% bio. you would clog that sucker in a day. with the emissions crap installed. For a better word, way to waxy. J.M.H.O.

737tdi

·
Registered
108 Posts
Whats up guys? I am well aware that the ford powerstroke owners manual recommends no more that 5% biodiesel, but can anyone give me the cold hard facts on running 100% biodiesel. I am new to diesels and the 6.4 is my first so be easy on me. I have been told that biodiesel is cleaner than ultra low sulfur diesel. If this is true, than why will it harm this engine as opposed to the older engines like the 7.3? I have heard that it is bad for the injectors, but if it is cleaned thoroughly before it is run through your fuel lines and pumps than what causes damage to the injectors? How can it be bad for the DPF if it is running so much cleaner? Like I said I'm new to this and would love to run biodiesel in this truck in the distant future, but don't want to grenade the motor doing it. I know if something happens ford will void the warranty, so until it expires I will just research the topic. Any information to answer my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for your information!
I have seen a couple of the 6.4 getting new motors because of people running a 50% Biodiesel blend. I don't know why I just have seen the motors blown and I will not even mess with it at all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
WELL FIRST OFF NOT GOOD FOR PARTICULATE FILTER.AND THE LITERATURE FROM FORD READS LIKE THIS B-5 IS THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE ONE IN FORD ENGINES ALL OTHERS ARE UNSTABLE AND WILL GEL OR GUM UP EVEN AT HIGH TEMPATURES.ALSO USING REG LOW SULFUR FUEL INSTEAD OF ULTRA LOW SULPHUR WILL DRAMATICALLY SHORTEN ENGINE LIFE OF PARTICULATE FILTER AND LEAD TO MAJOR ENGINE DAMAGE.

·
Registered
301 Posts
O.K. now there is no way on this earth that bio-diesel (commercial) could "blow" an engine. It could make it not run well, cause problems with the dpf, even possibly cause problems with the fuel/injection system. It will not cause a "blown" engine. It's not dynamite in a corn stalk. If Ford, which I love, built an engine that could be destroyed by vegetable oil then maybe they are in the wrong business. In all seriousness, as ya'll well know the diesel engine was invented to run on veggie, if we have gotten so far away from that, then something is terribly wrong. I'm not saying the 6.4 can or should be run on it, I know Ford says 5% max. but I really believe that is an EPA certification thing, VW started off with the don't use "bio" line years ago but now they have embraced it and proven it causes no problems if good fuel is used and proper maintenance is done. Some folks just have a problem with the thought of running a veggie oil derivitive in thier vehicles. J.M.H.O.

737tdi

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Two things wrong with your assumption..

EGR

DPF

Failure of these can cause certain problems that could lead to blown engine. Off hand EGT and IAT come to mind.

Biodiesel does not burn at the same temperature as ULSD. If the fuel does not all burn in the right place it leaves something behind.

However like you said all biofuel is not equal. Hard for them to qualify which one you can or can't use though. I would not use it in my truck.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Why would Ford warranty any more than B5 when they have no idea whose making the bio. It could be some clown making dirty azz bio with chicken chunks floating around in it. If we ever have proffesional bio producers mainstay and readily available that certify and guarantee their product we might see more warranty. I don't blame Ford for not warrantying something as uncontrollable as home brewed bio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really? Any chance I could talk with this person directly? I'd love to see their setup. I have always wanted the svo rig, but only seen it once on a 7.3l

1 - 11 of 11 Posts