Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch on my 2006 CCSB 4x4. There are two c-shaped brackets that go around the frame and bolt to the large outside plate on each side. On the passenger side this c-shaped bracket is hitting the shock body when there is a heavy load on the truck. It's dented the shock body pretty good. I'm wanting to get a set of nicer shocks, but don't want them to get torn up.

Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I put a B&W "removable ball" goose neck hitch in my 06 dually right after I bought it in 06. I have never seen any problem with it hitting shocks. I'm shocked that it hits your shock. You mentioned "turnover ball" so maybe yours is different from mine.

·
6.0 Powerstroke n00b
395 Posts
Does your truck have overload springs on the back?

Mine has overloads but they don't come into play unless a really heavy load is back there because I added some leafs to the main leaf spring pack for heavy loads. The stock springs are fairly weak.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No overloads on the truck. I'm running 11+ springs with Carli add-a-packs and I've replaced the factory block with a 2" PMF block with air bag tangs, Airlift bags, and Daystar cradles.

I've already tried trimming the bracket some with a grinder, but I'm still getting some contact.

I've got pics, but wasn't able to post last time I tried. I've posted pics before, but I thinks the rules changed and I need more posts now.

I found a thread on another forum with the same issue and some pics, but I can't link to that either.

I also managed to get enough free time to call B&W today. Their tech knew exactly what I was talking about. He said it's not a very common problem, but they have seem it on a handful of trucks. He told me to trim the bracket as well. I told him I had tried that and was looking for some way to get rid of the c-shaped bracket all together. He said the only way he would do that was if I drilled an additional hole through the outer bracket and frame and added another bolt.

I'm wanting to eventually get a set of Carli shocks with reservoirs and I don't think there is any way I can trim enough of the bracket for the room I'd need with the larger shocks. I think I'll try drilling and adding another bolt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
doesn't seem like contact should be an option even at full compression

i could go for a picture also

if you have a prob posting one just PM me i can post it for you

I'll try to PM you the pics I have so you can post them up. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts
Here are the pictures from @jbaum02 and his comments

Here's my pics. There's one pic with blue tape over the place where the hitch hits the shock. I did this after I trimmed the bracket some to see if it still hit. Doesn't look as bad now, but you can see it torn the tape just a little where it's still contacting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You could always grind the corner flat on the bracket, and if that's not enough cut off the little round nub that holds the shock bracket, and reweld it inward some.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Figured I'd give an update on my solution. After talking with B&W, I drilled two new holes through the outer hitch bracket and frame, installed 1/2" bolts in the new holes, and removed the C shaped bracket completely.

I've pulled a skid steer on a 32' gooseneck several times and today I hauled a load of cattle in a 28' gooseneck. The hitch doesn't seem to have shifted even a tiny bit. Seems to be working just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts