Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, I've always varied the RPMs in new gasoline motors ... avoiding constant RPMs for several thousand miles, till the cylinder walls harden up. No cruise control, etc. ... (tiring, but good insurance). Till, say, 3,000 on the odometer.

Is this good practice on the diesel powerstroke too (6.4L)? If so, for how long? I know diesels can take 10K or more to "burn in" ... that's a long time to go faster, slower, faster, slower ...

What do you all think? What's been the experience?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
everything i have read says to drive that way the first 1000. at 1000 miles load the truuck up with some weight(preferably a heavy trailer) and get it hot, run it hard, take some big hills.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I drive my stuff from the start the way I am going to drive it all the time....

Like I rented it and got the insurance!!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My 6.0 still had cylinder hone marks in it at 75K of hard driving. It is good to vary RPM's while breaking in the motor IF you can. It surely won't hurt anything.

·
Super Moderator
13,237 Posts
I was told that they break them in at the factory so i should just take it easy for the first 1000 to 1500 miles. then they said drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all .. npccpartsman you are certainly right that it won't hurt anything. i was kind of wondering whether the cylinder liners on diesels are noticeably harder than gasoline cyiinder walls (because of the higher compression) but maybe it doesn't matter because it is what it is, question is just to spread everything around for a while.

1-2K miles is fine ... 10K would be hard ... unless of course i avoid interstates which makes it more natural ...

brian

·
Registered
49 Posts
I assume you have a 6.4 or you would already be broke in.

If you have a 6.4, you are now already broke!! But that is another subject.

The 6.4 does not like to lug. It likes high RPM's. Assuming you have an auto, it is going to regularly downshift and up the RPM's on its own if you are using it under any kind of load, hills, stop and go, etc.

After driving manuals for years, I was surprised and at first disappointed at how often mine downshifts, but I am used to it now and seeing 3,000 or so RPM's regularly is not even noticeable any more.

CSSJR

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got my truck and the first day I loaded the trailer and truck to gcw of 40,000 and took it on a 300 mile trip. It has had the trailer on it for most of its life. IMO that is the best way to brake it in and I think your crazy if you think im going to waist my money driving it a 1000 or more miles before I use it for what I bought it for. Just my OP!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts