Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for options for more fuel, economical options. I see the price for Aero tanks and Titan tanks ranging from $1000-$2000. I want to try and stay under that if possible

I read on another forum, there was a fuel tank for the F450/550 trucks in the 2010 era but cannot find a "40 gallon, under bed, side of frame" tank as mentioned in that forum. I did find a tank that would sit between the rails and replace the spare tire carrier (but that's an obvious drawback).

What has become the general consensus for those of us wanting extra fuel on a CC/SB truck with a cabover/truck camper, is there anything without the average cost of $1500?

·
Registered
131 Posts
My 08 4Fitty has under the bed 36 or 38 gal tank from the factory

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yep, my 450 is a long bed w that tank. Guess its a 38 then, most its ever refilled when in empty was slightly over 36

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,611 Posts
Harpoon the tank and I would bet you could get a full 38 gallons (or more) in it.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
should have known......all explained below.

·
5,611 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Haha, I thought you meant put a hole in the the tank, then you could infinitely fill the tank...as fuel runs onto the ground.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
5,611 Posts
Here is another link. It benefited the 6.4's also. Just not sure about the 450's, but I don't see why it wouldn't help w/ those also.

Powerstroke Fuel Tank Modification

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I may be wrong about this, and hope to hear if I am. The inbed tanks I looked at did not "feed" the tank directly. Best way I can describe this is the inbed tank drained through a small hose, like, a straw, to fill the lower tank up. So if for some reason you ran out of diesel in the lower tank, the upper tank did not fill it quick enough to keep the engine running.

I waited until I could afford the titan 51 gallon tank. My only complaint is the fuel gauge doesn't work, and I think this explanation will make it seem much more of a problem than it actually is. I guess this is with every 26 gallon tank taken out to install the 51 gallon tank. I drive 200 miles after filling up and the needle stays on full. During that time, if I'm constantly driving I get a check engine light with a fuel sensor code. Doesn't mean anything to me and my 51 gallon tank, all its saying is the truck has been driving too long for the fuel gauge not to move. I reset it, and it goes away. The other thing with the fuel gauge, I hear because I have not driven it to E, is that the need fuel light comes on and there is actually 10 more gallons left. Because of the gauge is inaccurate, I have never driven more then 35 gallons off the tank. Once it gets to below a quarter of a gallon, I just don't know how much fuel I have and I don't want to find out by running out. My point would be, each system seems to have its own quirks.

The only other thing I can offer up is a craigslist or E-Bay deal, but those mostly seem regular sized tanks from people removing their old tank for a larger one and selling the normal one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts