Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving today and i usually look at the pyrometer gauge and I know it was working for most of the trip. When I got home, backed in the driveway and the gauge reads below the 0 mark, as if it wasn't working.

I did not install the gauges, so don't know much about them. Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong? Sensor? Ground?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If it's reading 0, you probably have a loose connection or bad sending unit. Start by pulling the gauge and checking for power, then test the lead up to the sending unit. If all that checks out, replace the sender.

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is reading below zero....it's not even on a number. I will check that over tomorrow.

Do sending units just stop working??

·
Registered
971 Posts
It is reading below zero....it's not even on a number. I will check that over tomorrow.

Do sending units just stop working??
If you are sitting in the drivers seat the sender should be in the left exhaust manifold towards the rear. There will be 2 wires coming off of it. One should be pink and the other could be anything. Follow those two wires, if they are disconected then connect them back up. If those two wires are ok and the sending unit looks ok then take the actual gauge out of its housing and follow its power wire and see if that is disconnected. Its kind of rare for the senders to go bad but its very common for a rock or other debris to jump up into your undercarriage and tear wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts