Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I did mine a while back... what do you want to know?

If your truck is a 99-01 its 100% bolt in.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Curious why you would want to do this? An Auto will do EVERYTHING a manual will, only better...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If you have a built trans, drive to my house, we'll swap you out for my 6 speed with South Bend clutch. :)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
your telling me im better off building my auto trans?
That depends what you want.
You can blow up and replace the zf6 3x before the cost of a BTS.

Your truck will be slower in a race with the 6 speed

Stock vs stock the 6 speed is much much more durable than the auto. Look at how many sled pullers have stock 6speeds (clutch aside)

I swapped mine flat out because I prefer driving stick, and I am often pulling trailers out of fields, where you need lots of torque, with low wheel speed and rpm, even in 4 low that sucks with an auto, much easier to control with the stick

If you can't do the swap yourself and can't find the stuff cheap indefinitely wouldn't bother though. Mine cost me nothing, I actually made money by the time I parted and scrapped the donor truck

6 speed will gain some mileage too, but not an earth shattering amount. 1mpg maybe

·
Registered
249 Posts

Stock vs stock the 6 speed is much much more durable than the auto. Look at how many sled pullers have stock 6speeds (clutch aside)

I swapped mine flat out because I prefer driving stick, and I am often pulling trailers out of fields, where you need lots of torque, with low wheel speed and rpm, even in 4 low that sucks with an auto, much easier to control with the stick

If you can't do the swap yourself and can't find the stuff cheap indefinitely wouldn't bother though. Mine cost me nothing, I actually made money by the time I parted and scrapped the donor truck

6 speed will gain some mileage too, but not an earth shattering amount. 1mpg maybe

im the same way i feel so much more in tuned/connected with a manual truck i have big plans with my truck and a zf6 swap is one of them

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
your telling me im better off building my auto trans?
In a word yes...

Tq multiplication with an auto is 10 times what it is with a manual. The manuals will simply NOT hold up to more hp then stock. The more power you add, the worse they get. There is no arguing this fact.

It has nothing to do with going fast, it has to do with using the truck how it was meant to be used.

If your stuck on a manual then just do a fully manual conversion on your 4R100... You will have that row boat feel some of you like, with a much stronger trans to go with it.

I've never had an issue pulling any trailer, with any wheel speed in any situation... Ever.

I can tell you right now, my truck will out tow any 7.3 manual truck on this site... Plain and simple.

Its not bragging, its the fact that the 4R100 when properly built will run circles around a Zf6.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I guess im a bit confused. I dont ever see threads on here about the manual transmissions having any other issues that syncros or the clutch itself.

Not many people build their vehicles to the extend of CSIPSD, i wish i could but dont have the time, knowledge or cash flow yet.

And of course ANY auto tranny built to the correct specifications will out preform a manual, a computer shifting will always be quicker then a human especially when you can change a bunch of the parameters of how it runs in different situations.

To each their own.

How much HP can a manual trans hold up to with the proper clutch??? What fails? input, output shafts? Gears? Bearings?

My syncros were going out when i bought the truck, i have only increased the HP since i have bought it and the tranny has not changed one bit.

On a side note, anyone know what causes the chatter you get taking off in first gear, I hear all diesel manuals make the noise. It happens right after you let the clutch out all the way and before you get to about 5 mph.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
In a word yes...

Tq multiplication with an auto is 10 times what it is with a manual. The manuals will simply NOT hold up to more hp then stock. The more power you add, the worse they get. There is no arguing this fact.

It has nothing to do with going fast, it has to do with using the truck how it was meant to be used.

If your stuck on a manual then just do a fully manual conversion on your 4R100... You will have that row boat feel some of you like, with a much stronger trans to go with it.

I've never had an issue pulling any trailer, with any wheel speed in any situation... Ever.

I can tell you right now, my truck will out tow any 7.3 manual truck on this site... Plain and simple.

Its not bragging, its the fact that the 4R100 when properly built will run circles around a Zf6.

I respect you knowledge on most things but a stock 4r100 will no hold up to anywhere near what a stock S6-650 will.... not even close. How many 4r100's do you know with 400 000kms that spent their whole life pulling float trailers and no work done?

Or how many stock 4R100's do you know that sled pull behind 500+ HP trucks for years?

I can find many example's of sled pulling zf6's with nothing more than upgraded clutches, and hundreds of thousands of km's on them. How many stock ( or with ~1000$ in upgrades to account for the cost of a decent clutch) 4r100's can you find taking the same abuse year after year?

Weak point in the 6 speed is the clutch if you add power but I pulled the original out of mine at 395 000kms all stock truck... For the average person that's less that 500hp throw a southbend or valeo single disc in and call it done.

I had a well built 4r100. It was fine, it towed great ( once I FINALLY got the tune set right... shift points were too damn close together... just another reason I have a Hydra now which I considered largely on your recommendation), but it fails big time in the fields. It was very difficult to not have wheel spin when trying to take off in the muck with the big splitter in tow or a hi top flat trailer. Wheel spin in our just thawing frosty clay is a deathtrap in trucks as heavy as ours. I have driven the same truck, in the same situations, auto and now stick, now that it's stick it makes the field work much less tedious. Low + 4Lo is unbeatable. On the highway the auto towed fine, I mean once it's locked up there's not much to complain about.

Another thing is driving in deep snow/ice, if that's something you have to worry about. More than once a downshift in the auto caused me to fishtail a bit, you always had to be paying attention, I flat out refused to hand the keys to any of the hands out of fear if they didn't know what to expect they may run into problems. You know, going up an iced over dirt road hill with something heavy in tow, and it decides to downshift on you.... not fun. You don't get that with a stick.

but really, your opinion is noted... you've made it in every 6 speed swap thread made this year. The OP didn't ask if you think he should do it, he asked what it takes to do it.... That's it.

Carport, on the Ford's for sure it's gear rollover noise... both the zf5 and zf6 are known for it. Generally some good clean fluid will minimize it. As far as real weakpoints, clutch ( like any stock manual), and some of the high HP guys will twist input shafts, but it's not common.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I respect you knowledge on most things but a stock 4r100 will no hold up to anywhere near what a stock S6-650 will.... not even close. How many 4r100's do you know with 400 000kms that spent their whole life pulling float trailers and no work done?

Or how many stock 4R100's do you know that sled pull behind 500+ HP trucks for years?

I can find many example's of sled pulling zf6's with nothing more than upgraded clutches, and hundreds of thousands of km's on them. How many stock ( or with ~1000$ in upgrades to account for the cost of a decent clutch) 4r100's can you find taking the same abuse year after year?

Weak point in the 6 speed is the clutch if you add power but I pulled the original out of mine at 395 000kms all stock truck... For the average person that's less that 500hp throw a southbend or valeo single disc in and call it done.

I had a well built 4r100. It was fine, it towed great ( once I FINALLY got the tune set right... shift points were too damn close together... just another reason I have a Hydra now which I considered largely on your recommendation), but it fails big time in the fields. It was very difficult to not have wheel spin when trying to take off in the muck with the big splitter in tow or a hi top flat trailer. Wheel spin in our just thawing frosty clay is a deathtrap in trucks as heavy as ours. I have driven the same truck, in the same situations, auto and now stick, now that it's stick it makes the field work much less tedious. Low + 4Lo is unbeatable. On the highway the auto towed fine, I mean once it's locked up there's not much to complain about.

Another thing is driving in deep snow/ice, if that's something you have to worry about. More than once a downshift in the auto caused me to fishtail a bit, you always had to be paying attention, I flat out refused to hand the keys to any of the hands out of fear if they didn't know what to expect they may run into problems. You know, going up an iced over dirt road hill with something heavy in tow, and it decides to downshift on you.... not fun. You don't get that with a stick.

but really, your opinion is noted... you've made it in every 6 speed swap thread made this year. The OP didn't ask if you think he should do it, he asked what it takes to do it.... That's it.

Carport, on the Ford's for sure it's gear rollover noise... both the zf5 and zf6 are known for it. Generally some good clean fluid will minimize it. As far as real weakpoints, clutch ( like any stock manual), and some of the high HP guys will twist input shafts, but it's not common.
Very well put. There is just something special about having complete control over the engagement of the motor to the transmission. Not everyone can appreciate or utilize the potential due to insufficient coordination or practice but in the right hands it can be impressive. I just love the added activity of driving a stick and having an auto setup that operates in full manual mode still can't replicate the experience due to the shift pattern and foot work involved with driving a stick. I like feeling as connected to the vehicle as I possibly can. My 2 cents.

:beer:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also, like Schlutzer said, the noise you are experiencing is most likely gear rollover. There are people that have experimented with different mixes of fluids to help minimize this yet retain good shift characteristics in cold temperatures. I have yet to fool around with this yet so cant really comment on it. I wonder if re-greasing my slip joint may help a little bit be eliminating some of the slop in the driveline. I'll let everyone know if it does.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'd also like to say... I tow a lot.

So much that I had to put a new receiver hitch on the truck because I had worn out the stock one. All stretched and loose.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Also, like Schlutzer said, the noise you are experiencing is most likely gear rollover. There are people that have experimented with different mixes of fluids to help minimize this yet retain good shift characteristics in cold temperatures. I have yet to fool around with this yet so cant really comment on it. I wonder if re-greasing my slip joint may help a little bit be eliminating some of the slop in the driveline. I'll let everyone know if it does.
I run a mix actually, my tranny growled like crazy in the other truck, even in 3rd gear... essentially i run 3/4 full synth ATF, and 1/4 0w40 motor oil, now unless I lug to down 500rpm in 2nd it's silent.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I run a mix actually, my tranny growled like crazy in the other truck, even in 3rd gear... essentially i run 3/4 full synth ATF, and 1/4 0w40 motor oil, now unless I lug to down 500rpm in 2nd it's silent.
I will have to try this, bout time to replace the tranny fluid so this sound like a good option to try.

And thanks for the info above. I dont plan on going over 450 HP in the next couple years so i have a bit of piece of mind now. I put a Southbend clutch in rated for 450 HP so im hoping to be good for a long time now.

And like cain said, there is no replacement for a fully manual tranny, i do a lot of 4x4 rock crawling and to tell you the truth it would be safer to have an auto (holding the brake in while trying to give gas and let the clutch out is fairly difficult at a 70 degree angle) but i would never replace my clutch with an auto, being in complete control of the drive-train is very important. Not so important with the tow rig but i like my manual!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I will have to try this, bout time to replace the tranny fluid so this sound like a good option to try.

And thanks for the info above. I dont plan on going over 450 HP in the next couple years so i have a bit of piece of mind now. I put a Southbend clutch in rated for 450 HP so im hoping to be good for a long time now.

And like cain said, there is no replacement for a fully manual tranny, i do a lot of 4x4 rock crawling and to tell you the truth it would be safer to have an auto (holding the brake in while trying to give gas and let the clutch out is fairly difficult at a 70 degree angle) but i would never replace my clutch with an auto, being in complete control of the drive-train is very important. Not so important with the tow rig but i like my manual!
That's where you need to rig up a hand throttle.. I've seen lots of guys do it with bike cable and a brake lever lol.. attached to the shifter.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Very well put. There is just something special about having complete control over the engagement of the motor to the transmission. Not everyone can appreciate or utilize the potential due to insufficient coordination or practice but in the right hands it can be impressive. I just love the added activity of driving a stick and having an auto setup that operates in full manual mode still can't replicate the experience due to the shift pattern and foot work involved with driving a stick. I like feeling as connected to the vehicle as I possibly can. My 2 cents.

:beer:
Really???

LOL...

Talk to me after you have driven a 5/4 trans with a 5500 water tank all days on forest service roads... Your little Zf6 would puke its guts just looking at the load.

The clutch...

The sincro's...

The crappy hydro clutch peddle...

The shift linkage going out (very common)...

One thing after another...

Resale value goes in the tank...

Its your truck, but a properly built 4R100 will do everything better. I've got 170k on my current Suncoast build, pushing more hp then most here (500-600 depending on the set up)... Still going strong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts