Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Auto to Manual Converstion the Edge works just fine and I sure no chip or controller

An edge won't work you have to use a hydra or ts 6 position with tunes for a manual pcm code.
the Edge works just fine and Im sure no chip or controller would work fine too. Mine runs great with the Edge Evaluation

·
Registered
10 Posts
So as to the tunes hydra whatever. I think this inaccurate. I have the Edge Evaluation and everything works fine. I pulled the auto harness out, had to keep the fuel pump wires out of it. Have not found a male plug for the backup lights yet. Had to jump two connections on the now empty plug for the auto. If you need to know witch and nes I can look get a pic and reply. It’s by the brake master cylinder.
Of course you have to add the cluch and master, I found the plug already there under the dash.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
So your using an edge for a manual transmission truck on an auto pcm correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Found this group while searching for info on this swap. My 4R100 gave up after 275k miles so I figured I would go manual. $5000+ for a built auto was making me :crying: Hopefully will be starting my project in a couple of weeks. My truck is lifted with 36" tires so using a floor tranny jack is pretty much out of the question. I like the idea of using a cherry picker after cutting out the floor. Didn't even think of that. Should work like a charm. Will keep posted on progress when I start. Good thread!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thinking about doing this to my E 350 Club Wagon.
Then, convert her into a Cabover Pickup. Flatbed Wrecker Unit.
I'm thinking about running a Spicer 5 speed Lo-Hole main &
the Brown-Lipe 5536 3 speed auxiliary transmission. The other
idea I got is an an old 1947 Dodge Powerwagon using the same
main & auxiliary transmissions with the NP 205 divorced transfer.
The pulling capability would be OFF THE HOOK!!!!!

·
Banned
5 Posts
How much power were you making and whose rebuilt tranny was it? What stage? Do you think that trans would be good for stock 7.3 with a mid hp chip?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great writeup! I too have thought about a manual conversion. I have an '02 E350 2WD van with 7.3PSD. The vans never came with a manual, as far as I know. I tow a big toyhauler and the auto trans is definitely the weak link in the setup. I wonder how much of the F250/F350 stuff would fit my E350? Finding a manual trans truck as a donor sounds like a good plan... does it need to be an 7.3PSD or did the gas trucks in that date range use the same ZF6 and related parts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Erik. Problem with a manual in a van would be that the shifter would be behind you. Lol!
Yeah it would need a custom shift linkage for sure!
I have experience with such things from the race car world. I've seen it done well, and done badly. But it can be done.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I wonder if you could do a 5 speed manual shift lever on the steering column? hah. thats the only logical place for it on a van. I've only ever used 3-speeds on the column, no idea if the column shifter concept works with more gears.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I wonder if you could do a 5 speed manual shift lever on the steering column? hah. thats the only logical place for it on a van. I've only ever used 3-speeds on the column, no idea if the column shifter concept works with more gears.
CHEVROLET HAD 4 ON THE COLUMN IN A VAN BACK IN THE LATE SIXTIES.....SO.....MORE THAN THREE HAS BEEN DONE.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, it's been a long time since I drove a 3 on the tree. I think Mercedes did 4 on the tree too, back in the 1960's. Not something I'd wish to re-create though!
But remember the step vans that UPS and others used? They used to have manual transmissions. I'm pretty sure I have seen them where the stick comes up through the floor, about even with the driver's butt. Then the shift lever bends forwards in an "S" curve so the shift knob is in a reasonably normal position.
Ah, here's an E150 image:

And another pic:

from a thread in a different forum. Did the Econoline ever come with a manual transmission? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

·
Registered
456 Posts
mercedes had 4 speed column shifters in taxi cab versions of the E series up through the mid 90s, at least. We never saw those in the USA, but in the world market those same cars would have a diesel or 4 cyl gasser, fabric or vinyl seats, hand crank windows, all the stuff that was standard on the USA models was optional, and taxicabs were way down equipped.

re: your UPS step vans, the engine is far forward of where it is in an Econoline. Even in that early E150 you picture, I'm pretty sure the 5.4L V8 on my old 2001 E150 stuck way farther into the cab, it was very hard to get from one front seat to the other because the 'hump' in the middle was so large.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Wow, it's been a long time since I drove a 3 on the tree. I think Mercedes did 4 on the tree too, back in the 1960's. Not something I'd wish to re-create though!
But remember the step vans that UPS and others used? They used to have manual transmissions. I'm pretty sure I have seen them where the stick comes up through the floor, about even with the driver's butt. Then the shift lever bends forwards in an "S" curve so the shift knob is in a reasonably normal position.
Ah, here's an E150 image:

And another pic:

from a thread in a different forum. Did the Econoline ever come with a manual transmission? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
I AM SURE THAT THE U.S. MANUFACTURERS MADE MANUAL SHIFT VANS FOR THE WORLD MARKET THAT WE NEVER SAW IN THE U.S.A......MAYBE SEARCH THE U.K. EBAY SITES FOR REFERENCE?....

I HAD A FAMILY FRIEND WHO HAD A 1966 FORD VAN THAT.....BACK IN THE EARLY 1970"S WE PUT A SMALL BLOCK FORD V-8 AND A MANUAL TRANSMISSION IN IT.....

WHEN YOU SAT IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT IN THIS VAN.....(HE LEFT THE "CAR" SHIFTER ON THE TRANSMISSION).....THE SHIFTER WAS BEHIND YOU.....WE USED TO REACH ALL THE WAY BACK.....AS THOUGH YOU WERE GETTING SOMETHING OFF OF THE BACK SEAT IN A CAR.....IN ORDER TO SHIFT THE VAN.....

IT WAS FUN TO DRIVE.....AND AS A BONUS..... IT MADE THE VAN VERY HARD TO STEAL.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
We're in danger of hijacking this thread... do I need to apologize or a start a new one? I looked at ZF6. Unlike the transmissions of yore it has the shift mechanism built in instead of having levers for the separate shift forks on the outside as they used to do. The good news is that on the ZF6 the place where the shift lever comes out the top is pretty far forward, not so far back from the bell housing. Next time I'm under my truck I'll do some measuring and thinking.

I'm luckily still getting a paycheck, but I have more free time than I used to. Suddenly some of these projects that used to be "too much work" are starting to look like fun...

161 - 180 of 180 Posts