Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 ccsb lariat, my auto gave up the ghost. I've had 3 psd trucks and have never been a fan of the auto. my question is this... does anyone know EXACTLY what you have to do to swap a 6 speed in the truck????

i purchased a 2002 6 speed wrecked. it drove, everything worked. i pulled my trans, and then it got fun, you have to cut the floor out of the truck from the console to the heater vents, did that, thats all buttoned up, i swapped the trans harness from one to the other, the pcm has been swapped, it has a clutch pedal, master, slave, res, ect. all in and intact. the transfer cases for anyone interested are a different spline input shaft from auto to manual. driveshaft length stays the same. i havent yet, but am going to take my column and make it just like the manual trucks, everything on the column is bolt on, from the shifter to the turn signal. there is a plug buried in the dash for the clutch switch to allow the truck to start, that has been found, and plugged it to the safetly switch. the way the truck sits it should be done as far as i know. however, the truck will not start. it still has column shifter and it doesnt matter where that is, also doesnt matter if clutch pedal is in or out. it cuts power to radio like it normally would to start, BUT, nothing, doesnt even begin to engage the starter.....any ideas?????

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try putting it in neutral and turning the ignition to run, then cross the poles on the starter solenoid with a screw driver (The truck must be in neutral or the truck will move) the starter should turn and the truck should start. if this works then you know the starter and batteries are good and the problem is probably in the cab (my guess is the neutral safety switch or clutch switch)

Let us know,
STROKER

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its done, drove it tonight, mission successful auto to 6 speed

well it ended up i needed ONE plug that used to go to the automatic, there are 3 plugs on the drivers side fender that go down to the auto, there are only 2 for the 6 speed. i had to cut the grey plug off and jumkp 2 wires. the column i simply lowered and removed the shifter and installed the lever to turn key back. there is ALOT to do to get everything to work, i am not all there yet, BUT it runs excellent and i am thrilled i did it. the problems i have are ...i have a check engine light, and one code which is water temp sensor HIGH, dont know why, also my truck is a crew and the donor truck was extended, so the indicator is on that shows an open door. It was quite the undertaking, and it hit me when the sawzall hit the floor. it looks 100% factory, but i dont know if it would even be possible without a donor and parking them side by side.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1slicklariat,
how has the swap treated over the past month? I have thought about doing this swap myself cause I like manual trannies better plus a little better mileage. Just curious if you got those little bugs worked out and if it was still worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts