Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you with backup cameras on your aftermarket head units, whered ya get it, how much did you spend, and how do you like it? Im in the market for that option on my AVIC D3 now, but dont want to spend fortune because of A theft and B getting ruined somehow. Ive heard of guys having good luck with $40-60 ones off ebay, but theres so many. any input is appreciated, thanks guys :thumb:

chris

·
Premium Member
14,367 Posts
I've heard guys saying the same thing, I've just been to lazy to buy one to try out. Have you checked what the guys on Avic411.com have been saying? If you can wade through the insults they like to hand each other over there the information on the site is great. :nod:

·
PIPE HITTER
1,472 Posts
I've seen the ones made by Pyle ($50 +/-) in action they seemed OK, the way they mount sucks, and they are a big larger, picture was good, I saw duringing a daytime shot, so I don't knpw what they perform like at night, but the price of the Pioneer Pioneer NDBC2 BU camera is only about $110-$120, not too bad, IMO and I like it a lot better:thumb:

There are a ton of different ones on ebay, hard to say about them without really putting one to use. I would say that if they are along the same quality as the Pyle I saw, they are worth $50.00.......

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, ill have time since im outta work til further notice. at least i have some sort of name to go off of...and ill pick thru the avic forums as well, that was just going to be a last resort...the org'ers are much more friendly :thumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
For day and night picture quality and for durability / reliability, the Pioneer is the only way to go.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have a day night unit on my truck trailer hitch and one on my trailer rear that I use with TV Coaxial cables and switches that I use to see my trailer tires and the Car I pull behind the Trailer. I bought both Camera on E-Bay and made my own plate that I attached on my trailer and truck. That way the truck Camera is low enough to see the trailer tires. I can see as well in the dark as in daylight, sometimes better. I used mine in the cooled of winter. Got them for $28.00 each plus shipping. It cost as much for the cables and switches then the cameras.

·
Registered
185 Posts
but the price of the Pioneer Pioneer NDBC2 BU camera is only about $110-$120, not too bad,

thats an amazing price since dealer cost is $184 and some change. :doh:

·
PIPE HITTER
1,472 Posts
thats an amazing price since dealer cost is $184 and some change. :doh:
Your shopping in the wrong place, is $115-$120 all day long. I've seen local retail here in town at $189.00

·
Registered
185 Posts
Your shopping in the wrong place, is $115-$120 all day long. I've seen local retail here in town at $189.00
Im not shopping. I order direct from Pioneer.
They must be selling refurbs then. :confused:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i did a lot of looking, comparing different models to different prices, capabilities, mounting options, sizes, infra red, non infra red....oye. my head is pounding from looking at all the numbers and pictures, but i ended up finding one on ebay from a vendor, that had specs very similar to the panasonic and pioneer, is round and something like 41mm long x 29mm wide, looks to be 8 or 9 infra red LEDs for night viewing...its a chancy buy, but at $37 shipped and being on workers comp til further notice, it was kinda worth the shot. using stumps ebay seller rating tool posted in the ebay forum, i looked in to the seller, and he had some issues, also through almost 12000 ratings, 48 neutral/negs (with only a couple in the past 6 months) but im a risk taker you could say, well see what happens...and ill follow up when it comes in and i install it. thanks to those who threw in their :twocents: :thumb:

·
Registered
229 Posts
well, i did a lot of looking, comparing different models to different prices, capabilities, mounting options, sizes, infra red, non infra red....oye. my head is pounding from looking at all the numbers and pictures, but i ended up finding one on ebay from a vendor, that had specs very similar to the panasonic and pioneer, is round and something like 41mm long x 29mm wide, looks to be 8 or 9 infra red LEDs for night viewing...its a chancy buy, but at $37 shipped and being on workers comp til further notice, it was kinda worth the shot. using stumps ebay seller rating tool posted in the ebay forum, i looked in to the seller, and he had some issues, also through almost 12000 ratings, 48 neutral/negs (with only a couple in the past 6 months) but im a risk taker you could say, well see what happens...and ill follow up when it comes in and i install it. thanks to those who threw in their :twocents: :thumb:
That sounds like the same one I bought. I sent him a question askind wich format i needed for a Pioneer and he said he would ship me the right one. He shipped a PAL version and it didn't work. Sent him a nother message and he said I got the wrong format. Need NTSC.:doh: For another $6 he will send me the right " I guess" one. Good luck!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for that info, i just checked the auction one more time to make sure, and it indeed says NTSC, so i think im good to go...just waiting:crazy:
when you ended up with the right one, how did it work out for you?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Still waiting.

·
Served Our Country!
205 Posts
I got mine on E-bay for $35. It works well at night and on overcast days, but it tends to wash out in bright sunlight. I probably wouldn't go with a cheap one again.

Jay

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got mine on E-bay for $35. It works well at night and on overcast days, but it tends to wash out in bright sunlight. I probably wouldn't go with a cheap one again.

Jay
it might be an infra red feature? :dunno: they bought one for the back of the rotomill (yellow machine you see in my avatar) last year because of too many close calls and operator security, and the operator says the same thing (and have seen for myself) that the image in direct sunlight is washed out and really tough to make out. granted it is no answer for backing up, but only a precautionary measure, but at night it is extremely useful and headlights do not phase the image any...

for what its worth, i tried basing my spendings off of that theory, and what ive seen from that camera as well, and didnt see the hundreds invested worth it :twocents:

·
Served Our Country!
205 Posts
Yeah I like the infra red for night. I just wish it worked as well during the day. I think some of the more expensive cameras do work better in all lightning conditions.

Jay

·
Registered
372 Posts
I got one of the ones off of ebay that attaches to your license plate and had infra-red for night. I found it tended to always wash out during the day with any kind of light behind me. My friend has the same problem with one he got off of ebay.

I ended up putting the Pioneer on mine and when I put the nav unit in my wife's car I just got another Pioneer.

The Pioneer one works great in any light.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just ran the video cables back to the camera to make sure it worked real quick tonight, that part is a success, tomorrow will be the final install, but i noticed something screwy with the unit.
once the camera is plugged in, the screen just displays the CAUTION IMAGE MAY APPEAR REVERSED or whatever it says over a black screen every time it starts up and the only way out of it is to hit MAP then go to the AV menu from there to see my regular XM/CD or whatever display. only MAP works to get out of this screen...is this normal, or something with the camera or something to look into over at avic411 (id rather not kill myself on that site if i dont have to :doh:)
other than that, the camera seems to have a pretty clean image for $25, havent tried it in direct sunlight yet tho or at night...more to follow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts