Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke at length today with an engineer from FoMoCo. We got to the topic of DPF deletes.

ANY TAMPERING WITH THE DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER ON A 2008+ TRUCK IS IMMEDIATE GROUNDS FOR WARRANTY REFUSAL -- NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

This is from FORD OF CANADA, not the dealer I work at, or a dealer near me, FORD CANADA.

The reasoning behind this, is you've tampered with an emissions component. Poof. There goes the emissions warranty. Now, you've had to MODIFY the PCM programming to outside it's normal parameters (Unless you're running the export calibration, which I doubt any of you guys are doing, since it's a de-rated tune) and this is considered tampering also, on the powertrain level, since the module is commanding powertrain components to outside their design parameters.

Now, A lot of guys will turn a blind eye to this, but from time to time, if an engineer or a warranty inspector comes out, you may run into issues, especially with an engine related failure. A lot of 6.4 failures go beyond the prior approval level and need to have an inspection done by Ford of Canada to approve the warranty repair.

I don't know for sure, but likely they will be looking for tool marks, freshly installed components, and the like. It is to my understanding that Ford has a LOT of poop in the PCM that can be accessed on an engineering level, and this may include how many times the module has been flashed, what calibration was in it last, etc, etc. I know there are a few indicators I can see (being that I'm an IDS 'Power User' and know a bunch of stuff that I'm probably not supposed to :thumb:) or even at the regular level using the regular IDS software that can indicate a recent PCM flash.

Just throwing this out there.

Be careful, and in some cases: you will have to pay to play.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thank god I live in the great USofA.:woot:

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Thank God I have a mod friendly dealer! LOL if I get a 6.4 that will be the first thing I do to it. DPF/DOC Delete, AFE Stage II, and an SCT TSX.

I love my dealer. I'm under an extended warranty with ARP's, EGR Delete, SCT, and 4" Straight Pipe. They actually tried to sell me a programmer :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thank god I live in the great USofA.:woot:
Ya... Cause our dealers won't deny warranty for dpf delete/tunes...... :crazy: and we can't get fined 10k if we get caught....

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya... Cause our dealers won't deny warranty for dpf delete/tunes...... :crazy: and we can't get fined 10k if we get caught....
It has started in Commiefornia, my friend.... and will soon be coming to a state near you. Been told the guys doing the inspections have access to DMV database, so if the truck is plated in the database, even if there is no plate on it... the INSTALLING FACILITY sees a $10k fine PER UNIT found ON SITE.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Um my dealer won't deny the warranty. If they will replace a motor that they knew that I had nitrous on it and get that mustang also inspected with no cats. I think I don't have to worry about that.:thumb: Plus I already talk to my service manager and the GM of the dealership and they said they won't void any warranty issue if any comes up. They said if I return everything to stock then they will cover me. It also helps the GM and my Dad have been good friends for over 25 years.:woot:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Um my dealer won't deny the warranty. If they will replace a motor that they knew that I had nitrous on it and get that mustang also inspected with no cats. I think I don't have to worry about that.:thumb: Plus I already talk to my service manager and the GM of the dealership and they said they won't void any warranty issue if any comes up. They said if I return everything to stock then they will cover me. It also helps the GM and my Dad have been good friends for over 25 years.:woot:
Here ya go bud::thumb:

Now, A lot of guys will turn a blind eye to this, but from time to time, if an engineer or a warranty inspector comes out, you may run into issues, especially with an engine related failure. A lot of 6.4 failures go beyond the prior approval level and need to have an inspection done by Ford of Canada to approve the warranty repair.
:woot:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I dont see why we would have been any different than the US market.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When it all comes down to it, you're modifying your vehicle to not meet emissions standards, and sometimes almost doubling the factory horsepower output with no real mechanical supporting modifications. Stuff is GONNA break. As well, EVERYBODY knows that it's a violation of Federal EPA mandated law, so sooner or later, there's a risk of getting caught, especially running a straight pipe that's real easy to see that it's not a DPF.

I am neither advocating or condemning these processes, I am just stating facts that I know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nothing new here, I still think the DPF delete is the only way to run the 6.4
Runs cooler, more HP and better MPG
Just drive throw the mud a few times before you go in for repairs and you can't tell the DPF was removed!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lets say you buy a used truck from the dealer and something goes wrong with the engine or transmission and the person who owned it before had it tuned and such. Would you still be responsible for damages?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Lets say you buy a used truck from the dealer and something goes wrong with the engine or transmission and the person who owned it before had it tuned and such. Would you still be responsible for damages?
There was a post a month ago of a user doing exactly that. The dealer sold the truck to him including a warranty. When something went wrong with it and he brought it in for repair, the computer showed the warranty was voided by FoMoCo.

Don't recall what the resolution was on that one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank God I have a mod friendly dealer! LOL if I get a 6.4 that will be the first thing I do to it. DPF/DOC Delete, AFE Stage II, and an SCT TSX.

I love my dealer. I'm under an extended warranty with ARP's, EGR Delete, SCT, and 4" Straight Pipe. They actually tried to sell me a programmer :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Were do you live and what is the name of your dealer....I wanna go there for warranty work!

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Don't throw a dealership under the bus by posting their name on an open forum. Just saying.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't throw a dealership under the bus by posting their name on an open forum. Just saying.
Sorry, didn't think of it like that. PM me if you don't mind....I would love to locate a dealer that is tuner friendly!

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Sorry, didn't think of it like that. PM me if you don't mind....I would love to locate a dealer that is tuner friendly!
It's all good my friend, just watching out :thumb:

·
Registered
121 Posts
i havent' read all of the posts here but i am going to say what every one is thinking if they havent said it yet... if ford would just turn up the power where the customers want it and give it the performance that we know the moter is capible of and the fule milage that we want and still get there emissions bs then they wouldn't have to worry about people tampering with there perameters.... i think they don't turn them up so that we will and when there is a problem even if it isn't related to the chipping they can blame it on that and they will try to say money on warrenty repair.. hell its like dealing with the goverment always looking for a way to screw the little guy and save a buck... hell i say a guy at my dealler with a cam that went out the teck said it was the only one he has seen and there was no mods and the inspecters came down and went over the hole truck and couldn't find any mods and still were trying to blame it on the owner messing with the truck... he finally got a new moter in the truck but it took 9 weeks he didn't have his truck had to rent won to work out of and then ford was fighting him on reibursment of the rental fees... i am sorry if i have upset anyone but i am tired of these companis building things and getting pissed when we just don't fall in line with everything they want

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
if ford would just turn up the power where the customers want it and give it the performance that we know the moter is capible of and the fule milage that we want and still get there emissions bs then they wouldn't have to worry about people tampering with there perameters.... i think they don't turn them up so that we will and when there is a problem even if it isn't related to the chipping they can blame it on that
Basically saying.... "PAY TO PLAY".. :hehe: Oh And i'm glad he said FUEL MILEAGE. :nod:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mattyl -

The point is, the truck won't meet emissions standards if you crank up the power.

If you leave the DPF and **** on, with a big horsepower tune, it will regenerate CONSTANTLY.

The engine is spec'd out by ITEC, not Ford.

We've all seen what happens when Ford cranks up the power. **** breaks. They called it the 6.0 I believe. The VT365 (6.0) is rated at 235HP (maybe 265, I don't remember) from ITEC. It makes 325HP in an F-chassis.

There are LOTS of folks that have these (6.4) trucks and have left them stock because they are satisfied with the output.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts