Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the Propane injection and the ATS transmission upgrade for my truck.

Here is an excerpt from my emails with Bernie of ATS transmissions:

Mike,

Yes, the propane kit will work great, and you will see a difference. Recently, in the newest “storm chaser” truck for the Discovery channel, we put both on. Although that is a 6.7l dodge, it is still facing the same emissions restrictions that the 6.4l is facing. That truck is all steel armor and weighs 17k+ pounds and we saw a positive and noticeable difference.

As for the Trans, yes, you will see a huge gain. In my first email I described the benefits a little, and that will apply to the 6.4l as well. You basically need to go with at least a stage 4 (because of the flex plate as an adapter) and if you are looking to make it a drag racer, I would suggest going full billet shafts throughout with a stage 6. The 6.4L of ours is packing a punch with all the emissions systems still on the truck….we can’t wait to take that stuff off to unleash the power potential. With our Trans, you will see improved efficiency, such as better gas mileage, and nearly 50hp to the rear wheel gains. The shifting is much firmer as lockup is much quicker with minimum wasted rpm’s. Our units have additional clutches in each clutch pack, giving you more surface area for quicker lockup and shifts. All of the stuff we sell is the same stuff we use on our high powered race trucks. Unlike other companies who build “the fastest” race trucks, with all custom parts that are not practical for production, and not even offered to the public, our units are all the same. If a race truck of ours is listed with a stage 6 trans, it has the same stage 6 trans you can buy. Our Transmissions greatly improve the performance of any truck, in terms of power to the ground, fuel mileage and most importantly, durability and reliability. They also come with a 3 year 150k warranty, which is THE BEST in the business. We back them up. Any other questions just email or call! Hope that helps answer your question! Thanks!

Bernie

ATS Diesel

Bernie, feels that with the Propane and their stage 4 or 6 transmission the truck can realize 4-6 mpg improvement.

Anyone else run their products? Sucesses?

Mike

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
:doh::doh::doh::doh:

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I am looking at the Propane injection and the ATS transmission upgrade for my truck.

Mike,

Yes, the propane kit will work great, and you will see a difference. Recently, in the newest “storm chaser” truck for the Discovery channel, we put both on. Although that is a 6.7l dodge, it is still facing the same emissions restrictions that the 6.4l is facing. That truck is all steel armor and weighs 17k+ pounds and we saw a positive and noticeable difference.

As for the Trans, yes, you will see a huge gain. In my first email I described the benefits a little, and that will apply to the 6.4l as well. You basically need to go with at least a stage 4 (because of the flex plate as an adapter) and if you are looking to make it a drag racer, I would suggest going full billet shafts throughout with a stage 6. The 6.4L of ours is packing a punch with all the emissions systems still on the truck….we can’t wait to take that stuff off to unleash the power potential. With our Trans, you will see improved efficiency, such as better gas mileage, and nearly 50hp to the rear wheel gains. The shifting is much firmer as lockup is much quicker with minimum wasted rpm’s. Our units have additional clutches in each clutch pack, giving you more surface area for quicker lockup and shifts. All of the stuff we sell is the same stuff we use on our high powered race trucks. Unlike other companies who build “the fastest” race trucks, with all custom parts that are not practical for production, and not even offered to the public, our units are all the same. If a race truck of ours is listed with a stage 6 trans, it has the same stage 6 trans you can buy. Our Transmissions greatly improve the performance of any truck, in terms of power to the ground, fuel mileage and most importantly, durability and reliability. They also come with a 3 year 150k warranty, which is THE BEST in the business. We back them up. Any other questions just email or call! Hope that helps answer your question! Thanks!

Bernie

ATS Diesel

Bernie, feels that with the Propane and their stage 4 or 6 transmission the truck can realize 4-6 mpg improvement.

Mike
:hmm:.....yes you are going to see an improvement with any tranny upgrade, I have not had to deal with ATS yet, but I will tell you I have heard both good and bad stories about them. Kyle @XDP will be able to help you out with the tranny....as far as propane, I've been told to stay away unless you really know what your doing, you'd be one of the first thats for sure.....as for a 4-6MPG gain....I think that might be a little high

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
BTS, BTS, BTS, BTS,!!!!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:hmm:.....yes you are going to see an improvement with any tranny upgrade, I have not had to deal with ATS yet, but I will tell you I have heard both good and bad stories about them. Kyle @XDP will be able to help you out with the tranny....as far as propane, I've been told to stay away unless you really know what your doing, you'd be one of the first thats for sure.....as for a 4-6MPG gain....I think that might be a little high
TTS,

How is your N2O kit working out? I was looking to Propane, because I can grasp the "concept" somewhat better than the Nitrous..... In reference to the tuning, and or benefits..... I have seen engines which ran propane, and the internals were spotless with 100,000 miles on them!

Trans, who else would you reccomend? Suncoast!?, and or.....

Thanks again!

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
TTS,

How is your N2O kit working out? I was looking to Propane, because I can grasp the "concept" somewhat better than the Nitrous..... In reference to the tuning, and or benefits..... I have seen engines which ran propane, and the internals were spotless with 100,000 miles on them!

Trans, who else would you reccomend? Suncoast!?, and or.....

Thanks again!

Mike
I don't have NOS on the truck........yet:), I'm in the process of making a huge career change and once I get that settled, a tranny is next then NOS so I don't start breaking too many pieces......I have heard that you can't go wrong with Suncoast and there is another name that I have heard things about and that is John Woods....as far as propane, I have heard its difficult to set up and expensive, but it could be worth a shot. I know about quite bit about NOS (I've heard it should clear up smoke :hehe:, but I have been wrong before) so thats why I'm going to stick with it.

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
I would recomend a BTS trans. I know people with them that beat the crap out of them with no problems.....

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
John Woods also builds a great trans!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have heard some good about ATS but mostly bad in regaurds to the customer service and that alone is enough for me.

Im going with a Suncoast tranny full billet shafts/plates, mag hytec pan, once I feel the stock is getting sloppy.

NOS is def. very fun. I hit my 200 dry shot going through a tunnel at 3am in the morning and it pegged my speedo real quick. Cost around $35ish to fill the 15lbs tank, and I have the tank mounted in the back on the driver fender well. If you got any more question with install or anything let me know.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard some good about ATS but mostly bad in regaurds to the customer service and that alone is enough for me.

Im going with a Suncoast tranny full billet shafts/plates, mag hytec pan, once I feel the stock is getting sloppy.

NOS is def. very fun. I hit my 200 dry shot going through a tunnel at 3am in the morning and it pegged my speedo real quick. Cost around $35ish to fill the 15lbs tank, and I have the tank mounted in the back on the driver fender well. If you got any more question with install or anything let me know.
Does anyone make a NOS kit that the tank can be mounted under the bed on the frame rail? I would assume that I could do this on my own.....

For ease, I would like 2 30# tanks..... If I do it!

With your kit, is it easy / safe to tune for it? How do you add the additional fuel needed? Is it a port kit? Is it progressive, or a huge hit? I am worried about making a mess of the internals!

Have you run your truck at the track?

I am NOS virgin, except for when my freinds were in highschool inhaling the stuff!

Lastly, has anyone used NOS as a way to freeze the intercooler?

(On my subaru drag car project the new i/c has a port that has internal piping to actually freeze the core when I get to the line!!!!:woot: Plus we will add a 50 shot to the motor...... Should be interesting)

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
286 Posts
articulas Filter

Can anyone tell me what the trick is to remove articulas filt from exhaust.

·
Registered
286 Posts
the smog stuff on the exhaust system, what do you have to do to remove them from the system.

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts

Mike,

Bernie

ATS Diesel

Mike
Don't go with ATS. Check out this link on the Cummins forum. I have a friend with a Cummins that sent this to me. I'm not a Cummins guy but I became a member of their forum just to read this post. ATS diesel products - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum ATS = NO GOOD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't go with ATS. Check out this link on the Cummins forum. I have a friend with a Cummins that sent this to me. I'm not a Cummins guy but I became a member of their forum just to read this post. ATS diesel products - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum ATS = NO GOOD[/QUOTE]

man thats is a bad story. i cant even imagine how that guy felt after being treated & spoken to like that.:( i thought ATS was the best of the best (for trans needs).so all the article & testimonials i have read are pure hopla? can u clarify this for me- ATS has terrible customer service but good products, or are they stinkn in both departments?:dunno:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
bosshogg quote: man thats is a bad story. i cant even imagine how that guy felt after being treated & spoken to like that.:( i thought ATS was the best of the best (for trans needs).so all the article & testimonials i have read are pure hopla? can u clarify this for me- ATS has terrible customer service but good products, or are they stinkn in both departments?:dunno:[/QUOTE]

I was told and have heard that unless you work for or are good friends with employees there that you get inferior products. Don't know exactly how accurate that is but the article in the Cummins forum and word of mouth is enough to keep me from buying ATS products. I'm looking at Suncoast for trans and Elite for turbos if needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ya i dont think i could let ATS see my green backs. so i know u cant go wrong with suncoast products, but what else do they offer other than the trans/converter/input shafts. does thier products work well with the factor flex plate and input shaft? if not who could i turn to for the extra items?

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
ya i dont think i could let ATS see my green backs. so i know u cant go wrong with suncoast products, but what else do they offer other than the trans/converter/input shafts. does thier products work well with the factor flex plate and input shaft? if not who could i turn to for the extra items?
Stay on this forum long enough and you'll find all the fun spots. :laugh::laugh::hehe:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have heard Sun Coast has a great rep.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts