Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shipped my FICM to Ed (ficmrepair.com), and installed it today. Ed got it and had it shipped the same day :thumb: Would definatly have him do another!

Anyways, first start all went well. Battery voltage was down to around 11v for the first couple mintes running, I think the 8-9 days that it sat drained the batteries down a good amount (have known it has a drain problem). Even with 11v it was instanty at 48v at start up. Something weird happened though, after about a minute of idling it started idling kind of rough, no smoke or anything, but seemed to lope and rpm's would go +-20-30rpm's constantly. Took it for a drive and it hasnt done it sense.

The Ex doesnt have any tunes on it right now, so I'm sure the Atlas 40 benefits this rig more so than on a tuned truck. First drive I let my wife drive as she is the one DD it. We took off at the first stop and I had to tell her to slow down, she took off like a bat out of hell! She said throttle response was much better. My time to drive it, and it feels much better. It still has its initial lag, but I would say it cut it down by 25-33%. Before it felt as though if you went WOT from a stop it would take....1...2...3...and then it would be full boost/acceleration. Now it seems like its 1...2.full boost/acceleration. Its not at instant as I was thinking it would be, but its definatly better than stock.

WOT acceleration feels so much better. We had to take all the things out of the dash tray because they kept flying out! It feels a decent amount better than a stock 6.4 (which isnt saying a whole lot, but gives you an idea).

The real test is MPG, but that will have to wait. I would definatly go for a FICM tune! Especially if you have stock ECM tuning. My only worry was with the Atlas 80 or Hurcules that the trans wouldnt like all that power with stock shift patterns, something to think about.

Also want to thank Ed, great service!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also forgot to mention that I had to change the coolant hose that goes from the degas bottle down to the thermostate area. Had to pull that intercooler hose off....well obviously didnt get it tightened down/clean the oil off because we blew that hose off driving down the road! For about a second I freaked then realized what it was told my wife to pull over, and sure enough thats what it was. Luckly we were only like 2 miles from home. Cleaned up both ends and put some hair spray on everything!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If your voltage is dropping down to 11v while the glow plugs are on (for the first minute or so after a cold start) you need to have you alternator tested and your batteries tested separately. If one batt is bad replace both. If you read on FICMrepair.com it says that if your batt voltage drops below 11.8 during this time then Ed will not warranty your FICM because just that little bit of drop is detrimental to the FICM.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I will be working on that this week. Truck has a good size battery drain when sitting which is no bueno. I was just happy that even at that voltage it held 48v out the FICM. After we drove it around battery voltage and alternator voltage has been fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts