Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man told me he ran a half quart of cheap automatic transmission in every tank of diesel. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I wouldn't run ATF. Most people run Ashless 2-stroke oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Archoil 6100 or 6200.
DieselKleen.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
stanadyne performance and 1/2 dose lubricity every tank

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id like to find something cheap like to clean injectors and lubicate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I personally haven't done it, but you hear about a lot people who do that to HMMWV's (HUM-VEE) in the army to lubricate fuel system. Like I said i personally have never tried it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
the atf wont hurt it I personally run a full quart in every other tank I buy a case of napa brand merc/dex and keep it in the tool box. 198,xxx on the ticker with no problems. Oh yea that atf smooths out those rough idles

·
Registered
505 Posts
ATF is fine for it. I know people that run filtered used atf at 30/70 mix. I run it in my truck a quart every time i fill up and it really helps the idle as stated before

·
Registered
505 Posts
Easily put what you think they dye off-road fuel with? Transmission fluid is the answer. Truck drivers have been doing it for years

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
New diesel fuel injection systems that have been used on Tier 3 diesel engines since 2006 have added challenges to on-farm fuel storage, fuel handling and even fuel filter changes.

Depending on the manufacturer and technology, a modern diesel engine might use a computerized diesel fuel injection system, a variable-vane turbocharger, multiple turbochargers, an exhaust gas recovery system, a catalytic converter or a special exhaust system filter. The following facts, myths and tidbits will help you update your on-farm fuel program to satisfy the needs of the new breed of diesel engines:

All diesel fuel sold for off-road use in the U.S. as of June 2010 is ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel. Sulfur is a natural component of crude oil. Your grandpa’s traditional No. 2 diesel fuel contained 1,000 to 2,000 parts per million (ppm) of sulfur. The low-sulfur diesel (LSD) required by Tier 3 engines has no more than 500 ppm sulfur. ULSD used in Tier 4 engines can have no more than 15 ppm of sulfur.
ULSD fuel is safe to use in older diesel engines, but leftover traditional high-sulfur diesel fuel can cause significant fuel injection system damage to Tier 3 and newer engines.
The processes used by refineries to remove excess sulfur from fuel coincidentally also remove lubricating components from the fuel. As a consequence, raw ULSD fuel does not have the lubricity of traditional diesel fuel. Refineries must add lubricating agents to ULSD fuels to regain lubricity. Many engine manufacturers recommend adding additional fuel conditioners to on-farm storage tanks to further improve lubrication of engine fuel injection systems.
The old over-the-road trucker’s trick of adding automatic transmission fluid, engine oil or other lubricants to diesel fuel to clean and lubricate injection systems is harmful to Tier 3 and Tier 4 injection systems. Automatic transmission fluid and other lubricants contain zinc, calcium and other compounds that form deposits in high-pressure electronic fuel injectors. Those additives also form deposits when combusted, which clogs injector tips and exhaust system components.
Tolerances in modern diesel fuel injection systems are incredibly precise. "If you take an [electronically controlled] injector, pull out the plunger and hold it in your hand for a minute, your body heat will expand the plunger enough so it won’t fit back into the barrel," says Roger Meanor, a certified Caterpillar instructor. "There’s absolutely no room for any sort of contamination in electronic injectors."
Electronic fuel injectors are lubricated by the diesel fuel that flows through them. Even microscopic drops of water interrupt the lubricating film of fuel and can cause catastrophic injector failure.
Water filter/separators used on newer engines use special polymers to absorb water out of fuel. As they absorb water, the polymer filter elements swell, and can eventually restrict fuel flow and degrade engine performance.
Tier 3 and newer engines require their electronic injector fuel to be filtered to 2 microns. Fuel delivered to farms is generally filtered only to 10 microns. Tier 3 engine filters are designed to filter 10-micron fuel down to 2 microns but might require frequent changes if farm storage tanks are contaminated with rust, sludge or bacteria. "We can install 2-micron [discharge] filters on customers’ tanks, but they’re special filters and you may have to change them more often," says Ron Mitchell, plant manager for Diamond Oil Company in Perry, Iowa.
It is a myth that "dirty" filters clean better than new filters. That theory was based on fine-mesh metal screens. Modern diesel fuel filters are far more sophisticated than older screen-type filters. Modern diesel fuel filters are often pressurized at more than 100 psi. Excess contamination in dirty filters can be forced under pressure through the filtering element and into sensitive injection systems.
Engine manufacturers now discourage prefilling new engine fuel filters with diesel during a filter change—unless the new filters come with a special filter-filling funnel that directs fuel only to the intake side of the filter element.
How much fuel contamination is too much? Case studies show road dust that accumulates inside the hose nozzle on a portable fuel tank in the back of a pickup can introduce enough contamination to a combine’s fuel system during a long harvest to eventually impact engine performance.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Easily put what you think they dye off-road fuel with? Transmission fluid is the answer. Truck drivers have been doing it for years

They do not use ATF for a dye in off road diesel. I don't know where you buy your off road diesel at but if it has ATF in it then I wouldn't be buying it. ATF doesn't add lubricity it's not a lubricant and it's not made to be burnt as a fuel.

If you want to trash your injection system go for it but you won't catch me adding that to my fuel anytime soon. 2 stroke oil maybe but that is oil that's made to burn as a fuel, ATF is not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They do not use ATF for a dye in off road diesel. I don't know where you buy your off road diesel at but if it has ATF in it then I wouldn't be buying it. ATF doesn't add lubricity it's not a lubricant and it's not made to be burnt as a fuel.

If you want to trash your injection system go for it but you won't catch me adding that to my fuel anytime soon. 2 stroke oil maybe but that is oil that's made to burn as a fuel, ATF is not.
couldn't have said it better myself.:woot:

·
Registered
505 Posts

Thats what a DOT officer told me when him and I where talking about it and thats exactly why he told me if they dipped my tank they would fine me for running off road fuel even though it isnt. I have been running tranny fluid for over a year and it has helped noticeably on how my truck runs. Had one Ford tech tell me the local Dealership tried it in their new Rollback with a 6.0 back in 03 and were still running it with no problems. They were filtering used tranny fluid and running it at a 30/70 mix

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Dipping a tank...LMAO....I'd make a trooper look stupid in court for trying that with me.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dipping a tank...LMAO....I'd make a trooper look stupid in court for trying that with me.

I hope you dont haul alot of loads cause it will stick in court. DOT is getting more strict down here.. We had 6 trucks pulled over on the way to Kentucky for a rock crawling trip. 4 of the six trucks got tickets ranging from running off road fuel to overweight.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
When was the last time a trooper had a chemistry degree??? Evidence has to be checked...COLOR means Zero!!

Stop letting them walk all over you and get smart. IF I can make any diesel sample LOOK like it's dyed then I walk out laughing. You just need to demonstrate it in court. The court cannot deny you the opportunity to show evidence or provide a demonstration.

Pretty simple to get out of it...just need to be smart about it.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Up here they usually don't dip anymore, they stick an analyzer in the tailpipe.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Ummm a dye :doh:
Truck drivers also had old 2stroke Detroit's and mechanical, non CR injection systems. Not HEUI motors.

Id like to find something cheap like to clean injectors and lubicate.
0. <- That's how many things you'll find that are good for your expensive injectors. Do you cheap out on oil and filters?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts