Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out on a limb, and had 4.5 gallons of ATF lying around in my shop bay, and at diesel being 4.25 per gallon i decided to try something. I had a half tank of fuel in the rear tank, which is around 7 gallons. I put 4.5 gallons of atf in there, and the truck ran great, no issues with hard starting, no smoke And an even smoother idle. I'm still running it, and was considering running a 50-50 mix trans fluid and diesel for long term use. Anyone doing this? any good experiences? bad experiences? that would cut fuel cost to around 2 dollars and change a gallon.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
So let me get this straight, you just put straight automatic transmission fluid into your fuel tank and It runs fine?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Im gonna wait and see what happens I might try it out.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
my question is how is it cheaper isnt ATF like really expensive??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im builidng a filtering system to filter out the used trans fluid, and going to start running that. once i run through this tank and see how it affects the fuel filter and such.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Where are you located at? If you close and your experiments work, I would be willing to start buying.

·
Registered
582 Posts
ATF has long been used by truckers as an additive and injector cleaner. I've heard of quite a few people doing this, and I've never heard of any adverse effects; however, I don't know that there are any benefits other than cleaner injectors and lines, so it just seems kind of pointless. If I were you, I would run through about three tanks and then check the fuel filter, as anything that has been cleaned from the system will end up there. As a side note, diesel is a light oil, so theoretically, ANY light oil should work.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Im just trying to save some money, because fuel prices are goin up, but the military isnt paying me anymore than 2 years ago when they werent as high, so I feel like im getting screwed, so any advice on a cheaper fuel is appreciated

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldnt know how it affects catalysts... mines 4 inch all the way back so if you are still running a cat, i may be careful.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Im gonna be putting straight pipe stacks on this weekend.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
My buddy has a tranny shop and is running 50-50 used transmission fluid he build a filtration system on his truck he said he did it after talking to a guy who has been doing it for about 2 years with no problems

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
its nothing new...used motor oil blended with diesel and RUG will work too. Emissions will be harsh so if your in a state that you must pass emisions testing, your not gonna want to do this.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Im just trying to save some money, because fuel prices are goin up, but the military isnt paying me anymore than 2 years ago when they werent as high, so I feel like im getting screwed, so any advice on a cheaper fuel is appreciated
You didn't get a raise last year? I'm retired and got one. I know it doesn't seem like much does it, every time I felt I needed a big raise I hit the books and got promoted, now I just tell my boss I'm going to quit, its worked so far, one of these days he will wise up and call my bluff.

Thanks for your service the worlds a better place because of what you do every day.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts