Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some know my truck has been sitting in the driveway broke down for 4-6 weeks. The damn thing will not start. I'll upload the Forscan log and live data.

I've been chasing the low "CMPLev", but can't find a short anywhere. I ohm'd out the wires from the plug all the way back to the connector. Then I ohm'd them back from the connector on the Valve cover to the IDM inside the fender. I had 0.1 - 0.3 all the way. I also replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor with a new Motocraft one with the Grey housing.

One thing it seems like is that its starved for fuel. It will run momentarily with a shot of ether, but the dies out very quickly when the ether is burned out. I bought a 100 PSI Fuel Pressure Tester (OTC 5036 I think?), but I need to find a suitable nipple to attach it to the pre-filter attachment on the fuel bowl to check the after filter pressure.

The other problem is the three injector codes. I'm guessing I need to rebuild my injectors with an o-ring and shim kit?

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,132 Posts
Do you get an RPM reading on the tach when cranking? -- if so the cam sensor is working
try removing all of the monitored pids except cam sensor
seems that one can be problematic because of the other pids taking up time in the data stream

pull one of the valve covers and watch the oil spouts on the injectors when cranking
that will tell if the injectors are working -- assuming there is oil pressure

go easy on the ether -- not a good thing in a glow plug engine

Connect your gauge to the port near the fuel supply line -- seen in the left side of the red box

Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive piston Piston ring Font

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the fuel filters in gas tank? If those are clogged then it will starve motor of fuel.
Also, do you hear the frame rail fuel pump turning on? If not that is a quick fix

Good Luck!!!
That’s on my list, but near the bottom. The fuel bowl fills. So I’m getting fuel from the tank to the bowl. I just don’t know if the pressure is high enough.

I have an OTC 5360 tester. It reads to 100 PSI instead of the recommended 160 PSI, but that shouldn’t be an issue because if I’m correct the idle fuel pressure is between 40-60 PSI.

I ordered the male boss to male cone adapter and a male cone to female cone swivel Adapter. It will be here Monday afternoon. Once I get them I’ll connect them to my tester and the post filter boss plug on my fuel bowl. This will show pressure out put post fuel bowl filter. To test pre-fuel bowl filter pressure all I can remove the filter to insure the filter in the bowl is not clogged. (It’s a new WIX filter)

if anyone needs nomenclature for the adapters I can post them.

On the other hand I do intern to drop the fuel tank regardless. However, I’m still recovering from hand surgery 6 weeks ago. It will be a few more months before I have full strength in my dominant hand. Since there is 8-10 gallons of diesel in the tank I’ll need help dropping it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you get an RPM reading on the tach when cranking? -- if so the cam sensor is working
try removing all of the monitored pids except cam sensor
seems that one can be problematic because of the other pids taking up time in the data stream

pull one of the valve covers and watch the oil spouts on the injectors when cranking
that will tell if the injectors are working -- assuming there is oil pressure

go easy on the ether -- not a good thing in a glow plug engine

Connect your gauge to the port near the fuel supply line -- seen in the left side of the red box

View attachment 770647
I’m about to clear all my DTC’s and rerun the FORScan software. I installed a new ICP sensor and forgot to clear the codes before I rand the new tests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts