Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck cold, temp outside above zero just a bit. When I turned truck over white smoke coming from under the hood, had hood open so could see it was coming from turbo area, cranked for 15 seconds nothing. Went and looked couldn't see any leaks. Cranked it again and it fired, huge puff of white smoke then idled with white smoke for about 5 seconds then clear idles and runs fine. Doesnt blow white while driving, No codes, Any ideas? I'm at my wits end with thing been so frustrated lately.

Thanks for any help guys

This isn't even going into my electrical or drivetrain problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Super Moderator
19,758 Posts
Are your glow plugs working? Can you plug it in at night to see if it starts better?
Smoke under the hood....up pipes...maybe? Just throwing it out.

Are you running any anti-gel stuff in the fuel? Just asking.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will plug it in, fill it with fuel tonight and run whatever additive napa has. I'll also check the up pipes as I did just do an egr delete they were flanges up nicely though and if they leak smoke like that when I crank it wouldn't my turbo not run at all?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Sounds like a glow plug issue to me too. You can check them for a draw on each bank, and if you aren't smoking after initial start it's not a coolant issue.
I would keep the matches in your pocket for now, may be as simple as a fuse or relay. lol

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Sounds like it might be two issues. The white smoking means that it's putting fuel to the cylinders, just not firing it. That could be glow plugs or it just not spinning fast enough with the cold weather. I'd try plugging it in and see how much that helps out, then double check glow plugs and load test the batteries. Does it seem like it's cranking good?

Now you shouldn't be seeing it smoking under the hood though, which makes me think you have an exhaust leak as well. Might not be big enough to notice when it's running but either way, you shouldn't be seeing smoke come out under the hood.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Batts and starter crank like a mother f*****

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
28 psi of boost I don't think it could be an exhaust leak, can intake manifold push out smoke?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Possibly, but if you were leaking on the intake side you should have low boost as well. Somewhere something is leaking, otherwise you wouldn't see smoke coming out from under the hood.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah and since it was white would have for sure been exhaust side right?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
You talking a lot of smoke under hood? I see the white smoke after crankin away for 15 sec+ w/ no start then firing after fuel is laying there, I think I would leave it unplugged and do it again in morning with hood open this time to see where smoke is coming from.
Could it have blown back to front of the truck ?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Is there any soot on the y pipe ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How would I check glow plugs sorry I'm a super newb

Sounds like a glow plug issue to me too. You can check them for a draw on each bank, and if you aren't smoking after initial start it's not a coolant issue.
I would keep the matches in your pocket for now, may be as simple as a fuse or relay. lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
y pipe is a bit hard to see at night, im going to leave it unplugged again tonight and see if it happens again in the morning.

and no the smoke was coming from under or around the turbo, definately not from exhaust, just a little puff maybe the size of a grocery bag floated up slowly

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha im not that dumb bryan

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Do you have a inductive amp guage? If so you go to the glow plug control module and you will see the harness split off for each bank, clamp it on to either side and turn on key and take a amp reading.
You may want to check all connections at it first and track down the fuse for it to see if thats the problem.Make sure there are no harness issues the controller will shut itself down if there is a short automatically

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Check FICM voltage??

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Did you burn it ??

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no inductive amp gauge, ficm or injectors are not the problem there perfect.
didnt burn it yet,
only thing i did was add fuel additive and now the thing fires up second crank again. how can that happen though like i just dont get it. busy season at work now and need a truck that will be reliable down to -50 but now how can i trust my truck when it does that at 0??

getting a whole whack of parts at the end of the month including autoenginuity not sure that will help any but we will see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
03 f250 diesel 6.0 blowing large amounts of white smoke need help
Hi
I have a 03 f250 6.0 2 weeks ago had extreme power loss changed fuel filters and icp sensor was showing bad so it was changed to. took it for a drive shortly after started blowing extreme amounts of smoke. This happens at idle no smell of coolant in the exhaust. unplugged icp sensor did not make any difference. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is my work truck.
thanks
David

1 - 20 of 24 Posts