Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i noticed when i start my truck for the first time.. as its idleing it will make a normal running sound. then the turbo wistle will go away and it makes like a drone tone, then you can hear the trubo spool back up.. then it stops and makes the drone tone again.. its does this a few times.. is it some sort of warm-up ritual, or???

just wondering if this was normal, or if it is indicating an idle.. i couldnt think of a way to search this issue, so i hope im not re-threading!

on a seperate note.. i like how when i clicked into this part of the forum, there was an add at the top for dodge and their cummins... lmao! :icon_ford::icon_ford:

·
haters gonna hate 24/7.
3,801 Posts
So i noticed when i start my truck for the first time.. as its idleing it will make a normal running sound. then the turbo wistle will go away and it makes like a drone tone, then you can hear the trubo spool back up.. then it stops and makes the drone tone again.. its does this a few times.. is it some sort of warm-up ritual, or???

just wondering if this was normal, or if it is indicating an idle.. i couldnt think of a way to search this issue, so i hope im not re-threading!

on a seperate note.. i like how when i clicked into this part of the forum, there was an add at the top for dodge and their cummins... lmao! :icon_ford::icon_ford:
its the veins in your turbo sticking....

Mine is doing sortof the same thing.

You just need to remove the turbo, clean everything up good and put it back into the truck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am 99% sure what you are hearing is what is commonly referred to as the "VGT Sweep". It is basically the turbo fully opening and closing the vanes in your turbo at idle. It does this to keep the turbo loosened up and to prevent the vanes from sticking over time. Your ECM is programmed to do this depending on what stretegy you have and is perfectly normal. My truck also does this, and so do thousands of others. Don't worry about it. You'll know when you have sticking turbo vanes, as the boost will jump up to around 40psi.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alrighty, thanx!!

btw, you need to make the picture of you truck in your signature bigger.. looks like a sick rig man!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts