Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Assault Rifles/Assault Weapons is a made up liberal term

Votes: 12 100.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been told that I am ignorant because I say Assault Weapon/Assault Rifle was a made up term by anti gunners to strike fear into people about AR/AK style rifles. So, am I correct or not?

http://www.tulprpc.org/attachments/F...ault_Rifle.pdf

This is the definition of Assault Rifle the Army gives with the last sentence saying they do not brand ANY arms they employ as Assault Weapons/Assault Rifles. I thought this proved my point and I was told I was wrong.(Ive been arguing about gun control with hippies all day. I did shut one guy up who said we should be more like England until I pointed out that their violent crime rate is 3-4 times higher than here in the US.)

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
It's scary where all of this has gone since Obama has been POTUS. I'm afraid that our so called "Assault Weapons" have numbered days left in our hands. Even Trump, while being pro 2nd amendment, is for an Assault weapons ban if he's elected. And yes, I've researched this fact extensively as it's very important to me.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Assault weapons is what the politicians labeled them in the early 90's

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone told me something yesterday and I took it to heart.....You cant argue with stupid because they will just drag you down to their level and win because they have more practice.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I did shut one guy up who said we should be more like England until I pointed out that their violent crime rate is 3-4 times higher than here in the US.)
And if you dont agree with this author, there are several other supporting writeups. I'm as pro gun as anyone but there are many lies cirrculating that really should be addressed. Me and a buddy are always talking about this type of stuff and we do the research.
https://dispellingthemythukvsusguns.wordpress.com/

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
As for your question, yes, the media has labeled the AR-15 to mean "Assault Rifle" and that is false. The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do the right thing and explain to him you were wrong. He will likely respect you for it.
And if you dont agree with this author, there are several other supporting writeups. I'm as pro gun as anyone but there are many false thoughts about this that really should be addressed. Me and a buddy are always talking about this type of stuff.
https://dispellingthemythukvsusguns.wordpress.com/
Yes, I have read those....even in that one, he does the violent crime numbers into per 100k and it is over 3x more. But he does cherry pick his stats down below.

So now here is another stat that IS NOT arguable. Crime in general. Englands crime rate(violent and non violent) is also 3 times higher than that of the US by 100k. See the pattern?

United Kingdom vs United States Crime Stats Compared

Here is one site that breaks it down, category by category. Yes we have more crime but we also have 300= million people compared to their ~55 million people. We have less crime per 100k. These are stats from the same place your author got his, just all the stats and not picked to make himself look correct.

Reactions: djmaguire

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, ive been to England multiple times, London is a city which you do have to be on guard all the time. Cambridge less so, but dont be surprised if your wallet comes up missing.....I still have a phone over there I never recovered.

Reactions: djmaguire

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Statistics and violent crime aside, anyone who has lived in Europe knows that the expectation of crime is more prevalent there than here.

During my time on earth up to now, I have spent approximately 4 months in the Czech Republic, 6 months in Germany, 8 months in England, and 2+ years in France. Some of the time in small towns. Most in middling cities.

Germany is pretty much like the US in terms of locking crap up and general feelings of safety. At least it was before the "refugees" showed up.

England and France and down south are different, though. If you leave valuable stuff in the open in your car in any moderate sized town and it's getting busted into. A computer bag needs to go in the trunk at a highway rest stop. You walk through Brussels drunk and you are probably going to be pickpocketed. France is the worst. The few times anyone forgot to put the huge metal gate down in the office in France and the office got broken into - TVs and monitors stolen. It was like there were roaming packs in the industrial park at night. A past coworker of mine spent two years in Italy. He used to say that they stole from you 6 days of the week and then prayed about it on Sunday. Lol.

To some degree it is basic ethics. Some of it is demographics. ...but - I think - that a lot of it is the statistical likelihood of someone getting shot while doing something that they shouldn't. Where that likelihood is high, crime is low.

Regardless, people can talk to me about transcontinental crime statistics all they want. Blah blah eff-ing blah. Europe does NOT have it better. Not even close.

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Statistics and violent crime aside, anyone who has lived in Europe knows that the expectation of crime is more prevalent there than here.

During my time on earth up to now, I have spent approximately 4 months in the Czech Republic, 6 months in Germany, 8 months in England, and 2+ years in France. Some of the time in small towns. Most in middling cities.

Germany is pretty much like the US in terms of locking crap up and general feelings of safety. At least it was before the "refugees" showed up.

England and France and down south are different, though. If you leave valuable stuff in the open in your car in any moderate sized town and it's getting busted into. A computer bag needs to go in the trunk at a highway rest stop. You walk through Brussels drunk and you are probably going to be pickpocketed. France is the worst. The few times anyone forgot to put the huge metal gate down in the office in France and the office got broken into - TVs and monitors stolen. It was like there were roaming packs in the industrial park at night. A past coworker of mine spent two years in Italy. He used to say that they stole from you 6 days of the week and then prayed about it on Sunday. Lol.

To some degree it is basic ethics. Some of it is demographics. ...but - I think - that a lot of it is the statistical likelihood of someone getting shot while doing something that they shouldn't. Where that likelihood is high, crime is low.

Regardless, people can talk to me about transcontinental crime statistics all they want. Blah blah eff-ing blah. Europe does NOT have it better. Not even close.

AGREED!!!!! You are 100% correct!!!! That is why I pointed out the crime rate in general....Germany was nice to go to. Like you said, more like here. But England was sooo bad....Its like being in Chicago.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I pointed out that their violent crime rate is 3-4 times higher than here in the US.)

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My bad, I thought you were talking about violent crime, now your talking about crime in general? Which is it so I know before responding?
I was talking about violent crime. And the guy is right, they can charge simple assault as violent.(That would not make up the difference though as the rest of the charges are the same.)

The point is what you sent me as a rebuttal was a cherry picked writing made to skew the actual numbers. Now if simple assault made up 1/3 of the violent crime charges then we would have about the same violent crime rate. So there is some logic for you. That writing you sent made it seem that almost ALL violent crime in UK is simple assault which is just ludicrous. You say you do your research and that is good, except you have to learn to take the two sides of the story and add 2+2. So I will try to find out how much violent crime in the UK is simple assault and back those out of the numbers, but my bet is they still come in with more per 100k.

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of what you hear on the news about violent crime here is concentrated in a few precincts. But you still have to keep your guard up.
Thats London in a shell....

·
Premium Member
14,348 Posts
Damn Clay Henry, how dd you find a pic of her in makeup and all dressed up???? :grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts