Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows that water injection is great for making more power on supercharged/turbocharged apps. But there are still miss information out there. I am here to help.

Some common questions about water methanol injection can be found here. Devilsown water injection FAQ

Here is another good source of information. Devilsown Methanol Alcohol Water Injection

Where to mount your nozzle? What size nozzle to run?

So ask away.

·
Registered
923 Posts
i always wanted to know about this stuff since i have an obs and no intercooler. how long does it last? i mean its like a gallon tank. how long does that last? do u just mix meth with water? where do u get meth from? local stores? does it do any noticable power gains? ill post more when i can think of them

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on if your pulling trailer etc. I recommend that all diesels run atleast a 6 gallon tank so that you can get it to last longer than a tank of fuel.

Your going to run straight water threw the system other than when it starts getting cold and will need some methanol to keep it from freezing. You will make more power with some methanol in the mix but you are going to go threw it pretty quick most diesel guys just do the distilled water thing. You can get methanol from most all chemical suppliers, 2.00 ish a gallon.

Yes you can easly make another 40-70hp with this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want to let everyone know i am here to answer all your water methanol injection questions. This really helps make more power on forced induction applications.

Benefits Of Water-Methanol Injection:

* Increase horsepower safely by 10-15%
* Lower air temperatures by 50-200+ degrees
* Increases octane when you need it under boost.
* Reduces cylinder temperatures up to 300+ degrees
* No wear issues only clean combustion chambers
* Allows you to safely run more boost and timing

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Are the controls something that could be controlled using a the EGT from a Edge CTS? I would prefer to be controlled by EGT than boost, but price is always a concern

·
Registered
816 Posts
How well does it work for keeping egts down in an obs with no cooler?

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
I'd assume you're still going to see their claims of 300+ degree drop. The intercooler will help a lot too, and bring the EGT's down even more

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the controls something that could be controlled using a the EGT from a Edge CTS? I would prefer to be controlled by EGT than boost, but price is always a concern
We do have kit that you can hook up to a egt sensor that can be used to controller the % of fluid being injected. It neeeds to have its own k type hooked up to it though. Honesty i peferr our dvc100 kit for your application.

How well does it work for keeping egts down in an obs with no cooler?
The more fluid you throw in the motor the more its going to cool it. We do have some users that run no intercoolers and just use water/methanol injection for the cooling.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Something else to add to the ever growing list of mods I want for my truck :D. Now, to go plant that money tree :hehe:

Thanks for your help :nod:

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts

·
Bring On The Snow
1,650 Posts
I have heard horror stories of injectibng at the wrong time or to high methanol content. I know I can control methanol content but how does your kit prevent damage from a injection malfunction?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure! We'll split the water bill though :hehe:
i bet they cost more to water than they grow bills :(

I have heard horror stories of injectibng at the wrong time or to high methanol content. I know I can control methanol content but how does your kit prevent damage from a injection malfunction?
lots of people do there own thing and don't listen. I tell people to use common sence and when in doubt its best to ask. Most diesels like small mounts of methanol in the mix 20% or so. Diesels and Gas motors react way differnt to water methanol injection. So don't take advice from a guy dring a vw on what to do.

What malfunction are you worried about?

Pump not working? As of this date i have 5 pumps come back since we switched to the 250psi pumps. they are 10x more reliable than the shurflo pumps.

Nozzles clogging? We are pretty much the only company that puts a filter in the system. I am very baffled by this. most just rely on whats built into the nozzles which is ok but not much total area of filter 1/2 sq inch. clogged nozzles is not a huge issue with most system as long as you put good fluid threw the system. Tap water is very hard on things.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
will the system help to reduce smoke? and can you run winshield washer fluid in the system? i have heard you can do this but figure you will know the answer for sure. i would like to get a system but i cant run it at the local truck pulls so is it easy to disconect the system as well?

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
i bet they cost more to water than they grow bills :(

lots of people do there own thing and don't listen. I tell people to use common sence and when in doubt its best to ask. Most diesels like small mounts of methanol in the mix 20% or so. Diesels and Gas motors react way differnt to water methanol injection. So don't take advice from a guy dring a vw on what to do.

What malfunction are you worried about?

Pump not working? As of this date i have 5 pumps come back since we switched to the 250psi pumps. they are 10x more reliable than the shurflo pumps.

Nozzles clogging? We are pretty much the only company that puts a filter in the system. I am very baffled by this. most just rely on whats built into the nozzles which is ok but not much total area of filter 1/2 sq inch. clogged nozzles is not a huge issue with most system as long as you put good fluid threw the system. Tap water is very hard on things.
I'm sure that's right :hehe:

So the Shurflo pumps aren't reliable?

·
Bring On The Snow
1,650 Posts
I was asking how your kit prevents injecting at to low of boost or temperature to avoid hydrolocking the engine or getting water in the cylinder. Im not sure exactly what happens buit i think thats what it does:dunno:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will the system help to reduce smoke? and can you run winshield washer fluid in the system? i have heard you can do this but figure you will know the answer for sure. i would like to get a system but i cant run it at the local truck pulls so is it easy to disconect the system as well?
Yes you can run washer fluid threw the system. I recomend just running distilled water and finding someone that will sell methanol in your area. And run a 20/80 mix. of methanol/water. Its way cheaper to buy it this way.

Yea can just unhook a wire and then remove the nozzles and put in a pipe plug.

I'm sure that's right :hehe:

So the Shurflo pumps aren't reliable?
We have had better luck with the aquatec pumps, plus shurflo is now not made in the usa... I vote to keep jobs here.

I was asking how your kit prevents injecting at to low of boost or temperature to avoid hydrolocking the engine or getting water in the cylinder. Im not sure exactly what happens buit i think thats what it does:dunno:
There is a map sensor built into the controller. If you set it for say 10psi of boost it not going to turn the pump on below 10psi of boost.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
We have had better luck with the aquatec pumps, plus shurflo is now not made in the usa... I vote to keep jobs here.
That's what I like to hear, as do I :nod:

Which one would you recommend?

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
how about the reduction in smoke? is it possible for the system to help reduce it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I like to hear, as do I :nod:

Which one would you recommend?
I recommend the aquatec pumps like we use.

how about the reduction in smoke? is it possible for the system to help reduce it?
Yes, that what our system is good at doing as long as you run majority water threw the system. Most users only run 20% methanol at most threw our sytems. But i would guess that about 50% methanol and it will start to help less with the smoke. So its really going dependent on what fluids you run threw it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts