Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still running on stock head bolts and gaskets at 70,000 + miles. truck has been lifted all of its life with 37's, so miles are more than the odometer reads. been running a tuner or chip all of its life. truck is a january of 03 build date. it also makes 35 psi of boost. should i leave it alone or do studs before warranty runs out?

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no advice? anyone????????????

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
Umm I would do head studs on a 6.0 even if it was stock just to be safe... thats my 02

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is the thing. it is not stock. it is running xtreme race from eric at innovative diesel. it will cost me almost 800 to a grand for the tech to make it happen, so i am wondering if i really need the studs since it has been ok so far?

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
that is the thing. it is not stock. it is running xtreme race from eric at innovative diesel. it will cost me almost 800 to a grand for the tech to make it happen, so i am wondering if i really need the studs since it has been ok so far?
I think you are pretty lucky nothin has happen so far. It will cost you a hole lot more if your truck does break down without those head studs... Anyone will tell you to do them especually if your running a programer.. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply. warranty runs out on 6-24 this year. how long should i expect truck to be at shop?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I would say do them anyways if you have the cash to burn.

Also, not to hijack, but can you go to the dealership and have them replace the studs do to coolant puking? They have already replaced my degass bottle and it still pukes, everything else checks out according to Ford though. I guess can I use the TSB for heads/coolant puking to get them done without them being blown?

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a tech in jacksonville, florida that makes absolute majic for my friends and myself. he has no problem with the warranty issue, even though my truck is not "broke"

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Thanks, I guess I will have to check with my dealership. They have always been good to me!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
how would it cost you $800 TO $1000 to do the studs $400 for studs and $100 for warranty $500 I have not had an issue with min either mine is going in for studs this week $500 vs $2500-$3000 I am going for the $500 route

·
Registered
269 Posts
i just had the gaskets and the egr cooler replaced under warranty on mine. I bought the arp studs for about $500 and ford installed them without any extra charges. As long as you're getting it done under warranty, i'd say its well worth it, for piece of mind if anything.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
so i could buy head studs and tell ford i want them installed under warranty? don't they need a reason to work on the truck?...if thats the case i will look into that

·
Registered
813 Posts
so i could buy head studs and tell ford i want them installed under warranty? don't they need a reason to work on the truck?...if thats the case i will look into that
thats the same thing Im wondering, I would be willing to buy the studs, but dont want to wait until something does or doesnt happen to the truck. Does anyone know of a dealership that will do it without it being broken in NW Ohio, or Denver CO area?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
That is what I want to know as well. Mine has been in for coolant puking and it still does it. Isn't there a TSB that I could use in order for them to do the work under warranty?

·
Registered
140 Posts
how would it cost you $800 TO $1000 to do the studs $400 for studs and $100 for warranty $500 I have not had an issue with min either mine is going in for studs this week $500 vs $2500-$3000 I am going for the $500 route

What is the other $300 to $500 for? to make it worth the techs time?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hey guys, yea. me too!!!!!!!!!!!LOL! What is really the skinny on getting the dealer to install head studs when you have no problems. I'll buy em but why would they install them? I got the same year and make as this guy but I have 68,000 miles and since we are both running race files it does make me want them now than later

·
Registered
269 Posts
if your truck is puking coolant and they're going to be replacing the head gaskets, then you can go buy arp studs and get them put in. ford won't do a bunch of warranty work if there's nothing wrong.

What is the other $300 to $500 for? to make it worth the techs time?
not exactly. that's what the head studs will cost you off the shelf. Ford won't pay for those.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know that you have to buy your own studs. but do the math.. $400 for the studs + $100 for the warranty deductible= $500 he said it would cost him $800 to $1000 that leaves $300 to $500 don't know where it is going.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Whenever I have a head gasket job to do (especially modded trucks) I always recommend the stud option for longevity. I have the get the parts and I do not charge extra to install them. They are much easier to install than poorer quality factory bolts

1 - 20 of 43 Posts