Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to tell if you have ARP (or another manufacturer) or stock studs installed. I bought my truck used a few weeks ago and having been trying to figure what mods the previous owners have done to the truck.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
a stud is a stud with a nut on it to tighten. A bolt is a bolt. Look at the cylinder heads, some of the head bolts you can visably see. Its either a bolt or a stud with a nut on it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ARP vs Stock

a stud is a stud with a nut on it to tighten. A bolt is a bolt. Look at the cylinder heads, some of the head bolts you can visably see. Its either a bolt or a stud with a nut on it.
Thanks. Are bolts on the cylinders rather than studs the standard installation on the production line? I have been reading that the ARP studs can take the heat better and many have upgraded. My truck has had several upgrades so I was trying to determine if they had pure previously upgraded. If I understand correctly, if nothing has been changed I will see bolts rather than studs on the cylinders? Again my Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Bolts are standard on the production line

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Dave, I will get under the hood tomorrow to check it out.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The bolts should be easily visible without removing anything-just look at the rocker boxes, closest to the inner fenders. If you have 12pt nuts, and a stud wit an allen hole in the center, you have ARP studs. If you have a standard 6point bolt head, you have stockers!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bolts should be easily visible without removing anything-just look at the rocker boxes, closest to the inner fenders. If you have 12pt nuts, and a stud wit an allen hole in the center, you have ARP studs. If you have a standard 6point bolt head, you have stockers!
Thank you Daz,
I will look tomorrow. I thought at minimum I would have to remove the valve covers. After your note and looking at several videos of ARP stud installation I have a place to check now. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you 03KR, sorry to be slow. What am I looking at? Is this the location I should look at to determine whether or not I have factory bolts or aftermarket studs? I see the hex nuts...are these factory vs studs?:confused:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Thank you 03KR, sorry to be slow. What am I looking at? Is this the location I should look at to determine whether or not I have factory bolts or aftermarket studs? I see the hex nuts...are these factory vs studs?:confused:
sorry:doh: the black stud is what your looking for toward the bottom of the pic

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
stock head bolts

ARP

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
Subbed, cause I can....And need bathroom reading material

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stock head bolts

ARP

Very cool. Got it. Will definitely check in the morning. I was thinking the black bolt is what I should be looking at but the second picture really helped clear it up. :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got under the hood today. I have the stock factory bolts in the head. My temps are good, using CAT ELC , heading are not leaking (that I can find anyway) so hopefully I won't need this $$ update. Thanks for you help, went right to the location you indicated.:woot:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.