Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with the 08's replace the head studs yet? Obviously while there I will have the heads ported and flowed.

Are the ARP studs a direct plug and play? Or will the block need to be machined?

Who knows a good porter for the 6.4's. I know they are SO much different than the 6.0's, so I am leery of who to do what!

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Are you having problems with the head yet? There are 6.4s out there with near 500RWHP and still stock head bolts. The 6.0 has diffrent head studs than the 6.4 and I think the 6.4 has 1 more than the 6.0...

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I have not seen nor heard of any head bolt issues...

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you having problems with the head yet? There are 6.4s out there with near 500RWHP and still stock head bolts. The 6.0 has diffrent head studs than the 6.4 and I think the 6.4 has 1 more than the 6.0...
No issues with the headstuds.... I was ASSUMING that this would be a needed upgrade with more HP!?

Anyone have issues with headstuds on modified 08's?

I read the article in DIESEL POWER last night, and was impressed with the gains from extruding, and porting the OEM: heads, intake, and exhaust mainfolds.

Got me thinking!

Mike

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
No issues with the headstuds.... I was ASSUMING that this would be a needed upgrade with more HP!?

Anyone have issues with headstuds on modified 08's?

I read the article in DIESEL POWER last night, and was impressed with the gains from extruding, and porting the OEM: heads, intake, and exhaust mainfolds.

Got me thinking!

Mike

I read that and they did not get much HP/TQ IMO for the work done...like 20HP or something I thought.

Now on the 6.0 where you are gonna have to take the heads off anyhow if you get around 500HP I would say go for it, but theres a few 500+HP 6.4's with no head bolt/stud issues, I dont see taking the cab off and spendingthe money on porting to be worth it at all on this engine for MOST applications.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can't make more than stock numbers.....no comment.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
little snipit from the 6.4 bible:

if you were gonna port/extrude anything I would do just the manifold. No one has ran out of air with these 6.4s yet with the twin turbos, but I wouldn't port/extrude anything.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS! Great info!

She will be stock untill she breaks!

Thanks All!

Mike

little snipit from the 6.4 bible:

if you were gonna port/extrude anything I would do just the manifold. No one has ran out of air with these 6.4s yet with the twin turbos, but I wouldn't port/extrude anything.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Anyone with the 08's replace the head studs yet? Obviously while there I will have the heads ported and flowed.

Are the ARP studs a direct plug and play? Or will the block need to be machined?

Who knows a good porter for the 6.4's. I know they are SO much different than the 6.0's, so I am leery of who to do what!

Thanks!

Mike

Elite Diesel will be doin the heads in the next few months, they already have it advertised on their website. I'm pretty sure that 6.4 has 14mm studs from the factory-I could be wrong, but pretty sure. I do know for a fact that the factory studs will stretch with anything over 56 psi of boost though. I havent stretched mine yet, but I talked to a lead engineer at International about the 6.4 and he said that the benchmark for stretching was at 56 psi-also heard that our turbos could kick out as much as 72 psi:woohoo:

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elite Diesel will be doin the heads in the next few months, they already have it advertised on their website. I'm pretty sure that 6.4 has 14mm studs from the factory-I could be wrong, but pretty sure. I do know for a fact that the factory studs will stretch with anything over 56 psi of boost though. I havent stretched mine yet, but I talked to a lead engineer at International about the 6.4 and he said that the benchmark for stretching was at 56 psi-also heard that our turbos could kick out as much as 72 psi:woohoo:
72 PSI, most will hit that with a tuner that is in the 200+ state of tune over stock.....

I have hit low 50's with the Edge Evolution in the truck..... Need to reduce teh backpressure more!

Mike

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
i just read about that head porting..is it really worth it? i mean thats the serious bank for a few more ponies. i dont think i would go forward with that. thats just my 2 pennies

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless I hit a deadline that I couldn't squeeze any more HP out of and eeven then its a lot of work for little

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Huge waste of money.

You can't apply gas engine performance techniques to a diesel.

I think the head 'bolts' are 16mm.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Huge waste of money.

You can't apply gas engine performance techniques to a diesel.

I think the head 'bolts' are 16mm.

Oh theres gains to be made by porting a diesel engine....just not enough to make it worthwhile if theres no other reason to take the heads off....

And right now at the power levels currently being produced....theres no reason to pull the cap off and remove the heads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
studs

I just came from having ford reset parameters on my o8 and they preformed the following updates listed in tsb 07-17-3. This is in a 350 srw
with manual trans . We are now at over 400 hp and the torque is unreal to drive. It pulls like a caterpillar and will hold the boost right at fifty pounds, Ford does say that fifty is as far as they will go. After this up date my milage went from a stinking 11 mpg to a better 16 mpg and it runs a lot smoother around town with no jerking or bucking. I have complained of the bucking sensation from day one with this truck. Be sure and ask dealer about the updated information every time you go there, the service guys don't want to be bothered with the time it takes to install these if no one complains. It took over two hours on the computer to install.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I just came from having ford reset parameters on my o8 and they preformed the following updates listed in tsb 07-17-3. This is in a 350 srw
with manual trans . We are now at over 400 hp and the torque is unreal to drive. It pulls like a caterpillar and will hold the boost right at fifty pounds, Ford does say that fifty is as far as they will go. After this up date my milage went from a stinking 11 mpg to a better 16 mpg and it runs a lot smoother around town with no jerking or bucking. I have complained of the bucking sensation from day one with this truck. Be sure and ask dealer about the updated information every time you go there, the service guys don't want to be bothered with the time it takes to install these if no one complains. It took over two hours on the computer to install.

Wow! I wonder if this will work on an auto trans? I have a 350 srw job 2. What job # is yours? Is this with the dpf intact? If I can get that much more mpg's I think I would forego the dpf delete tuner for now, and keep my warrany just in case. I don't really need a ton of power right now so this would be great, just more mpg's would be nice. Thanks:thumb:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
This is some great news.

I am going to get my oil changed this week. I think I'll tell them my transmission is shifting funny and see if they will update it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well now that has to be a new tune from FMC because it changed the HP from stock

1 - 20 of 23 Posts