Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 f350 7.3, 8inch lift, 37x13.50's lightly modified.
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a question about the power steering in my late 99 f350 4x4. Does anyone know if there are any screens in the power steering lines anywhere? My steering is really hard at an idle but gets easier if I bring up the rpms above idle and the truck is moving a bit. Every once in a while the steering is really easy but not very often. I've replaced all the ball joints, tie rods, and put in a new Red Head steering box. All were replaced due to wear. Front end alignment has just been done also. I also flushed the power steering when I changed out the steering box. All this has been done within the last 200 miles. I'm thinking there might be a restriction in the high pressure side, like maybe a screen is blocked. If anyone knows if there are any screens in the system I would sure appreciate your input. Any other suggestions would be great too. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
my 02 has stiff steering at idle. i put a new hydroboost on and its still stiff at idle. I put a new pump on ,flushed the system and 40,000 miles later its stiff at idle. my 01 is easy at idle and has about 129,000 miles with original parts

·
Registered
99 f350 7.3, 8inch lift, 37x13.50's lightly modified.
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just chasing my tail with this. Some of these trucks seen to have this issue and some don't. There is no shortage of folks on here complaining about the same problem. Is this just something that a SD owner has to learn to live with or is there a common cause to the problem? I haven't read where anyone has mentioned any type of filter screens in the hoses anywhere. Are they not there or they just haven't been a problem for anyone yet? I was really hoping someone could tell me and maybe educate us all in the process. I don't know if it's a design issue since so many trucks have the same problem. Why would it seem to steer so much easier occasionally but most of time be so stiff?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.