Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a thread on here saying that the head bolts can still be seen with the engine assembled. I had the dealer install ARP studs and change headgaskets a month ago and trusted that the install was done! I went out to my truck and saw these.

Please tell me I'm looking at the wrong bolts and that the dealer didn't steal my ARP studs (I supplied them) and put in stock bolts! I'm really starting to question whether they even had the truck apart since I had no issues when I brought it in. I just wanted studs installed. :(

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
With ARP studs you should see a nut where the headbolts are. Not a bolt head

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly what I'm afraid of. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the correct bolts right below the valve covers since they're definitely not the ARPs I bought. :thud: I'm really hoping someone tells me I'm just an idiot and I'm looking at the wrong bolts.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
not 100% sure but unfortunatly those dont look like head studs to me i would go back and confront them about it!! :gun:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yep, your definitely looking at the head bolts. Looks like somebody got shafted... I would go back demanding answers as well.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Thanks Adam:thumb:

TMorgan head back to the dealer and talk to them

no problem.

Tmorgan, don't go in with a bad attitude, it could have been a misunderstanding between the technician and service writer, just be levle headed about the situation. I know you are probably pissed,but everybody makes mistakes, I am not vouching for them, because they do still have your studs, but be calm cool and collected, it will get you further!

·
Too cool for school
9,886 Posts
no problem.

Tmorgan, don't go in with a bad attitude, it could have been a misunderstanding between the technician and service writer, just be levle headed about the situation. I know you are probably pissed,but everybody makes mistakes, I am not vouching for them, because they do still have your studs, but be calm cool and collected, it will get you further!
Or go out back and see if any of the techs drive a 6.0...

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
no problem.

I agree with Adam. It will go further this way

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Appreciate all the fast responses even though they aren't what I was hoping to hear!

Sorry for the long post, but the details are critical.

I'm definitely going to be going into the dealer first thing tomorrow even though it's now turning into an incredibly confusing situation.

I bought this 2005 F250 Supercab just over 2 months ago from the local GM dealer with 103,XXX miles on it. It ran great but I was worried about buying a 6.0 strictly because of head gaskets. They'd never been changed and this truck had a nearly flawless service history.

The GM dealer sold me a 3rd-party 2 year/24,000 mile powertrain warranty at an additional $2,XXX that I purchased almost strictly for head gasket insurance. After reading through the paperwork when I got home (I should have done it before I bought it, but it was a 40 page long booklet) and it doesn't cover seals and gaskets!

After going back to the GM dealer the next day in an attempt to work something out, they agreed to replace head gaskets with the updated version since their salesman sold me the warranty for this reason. The work was going to be done at the local Ford dealer. Ford dealer agreed to let me supply the ARP studs and they'd install them upon re-assembly.

I dropped off the truck at the GM dealer with the ARP studs in the passenger seat. The Ford dealer had my truck for close to 2 weeks (which I was fine with, they were doing me a *favor*). I picked it up and it seems to drive better than before (makes less boost and turbo flutter is gone but feels much quicker). I've been driving it for a month thinking I've got ARPs.

I always wondered how the Ford dealer was willing to do $4,000 in work for no charge....until yesterday. I got an update on the Oasis report (thanks to members on here!). The Ford dealer wrote the mileage down as 99,023 instead of the actual 103,XXX so I'm betting Ford paid for the repair (thinking it was under warranty!). I didn't have ANY of the white smoke or losing coolant issues described below but I didn't mind since the dealer was willing to replace my head gaskets for me.

07/13/2009

DEALER: *EDITED* Ford, Inc.
WARRANTY CLAIM NUMBER: 054543 ODOMETER: 099023M
PART NUMBER PART DESCRIPTION QUANTITY
LABOR OP
CONDITION CODE
CONDITION DESC
OSP 001 6005PA 42 DOES NOT OPERATE PROPERLY
3C3Z 6701B CRANKSHAFT REAR SEAL 001 090803A
3C3Z 6D083AA GASKET-RR COVER 001 090803B
OSP 001 090803D
3C3Z 6A642CA COOLER CRANKCASE OI 001 090803E
4C3Z 9P456AF COOLER - EGR 001 090803F
4C3Z 6051EB GASKET CYL HEAD 002 090803G
W302193 001 090803H
4C3Z 6564AA ARM-VALVE ROCKER 001
3C3Z 6584BA GASKET VALVE ROCKER 001
3C3Z 6C683AA FLTER-ENG OIL 001
3C3Z 9P458AA KIT - VLV EGR 001
4C3Z 9G489AARM KIT TRBCH CTR HSG RO 001
3C3Z 9T514AD KIT-HDW TRBCH MTNG 001
5C3Z 12224A 3 WAY VACUUM CONNECT 001
3C3Z 6731AA ELEMENT ASY OIL FILT 001
XO 15W40QSD 015
4C3Z 9J460A SENSOR ASY EGR PR VL 001
OSP 001
3C3Z 7A248AA OIL SEAL FRT OIL PUM 001
W302725 001
6C3Z 6K786EA CLAMP AIR COOLING 001
6C3Z 6K786CA CLAMP AIR COOLING 002
6C2Z 6K786AA CLAMP AIR COOLING 001
VC 7B 003
OSP 001
BLOWING SMOKE FROM TAILPIPE AND LEAKING COOLANT. PERFORMED INSPECTIONS PER S TEP 1 OF TSB 090803 OK. PERFORMED PRESSURE TESTS AND REPLACED CAP PER STEP 2 . PERFORMED STEP 3 VAC TEST FAILED. PER STEP 4 REMOVED AND PRESSURE TESTED E GR COOLER FAILED. PRIOR APPROVAL PAA3V. REPLACED EGR COOLER, SERVICED OIL CO OLER, EVAC COOLANT FROM CYL, PERFORMED STEP 7 FOUND PRESSURE GETTING TO 19P
Click Here for Full Warranty History
| On-line 1878
END OF OASIS REPORT FOR 1FTSX21P25EA81993
Fast forward to tonight, and I figure out the ARPs didn't get put in the truck. Hell, I don't know if the head gaskets got replaced. I didn't even want new head gaskets. I did this for the ARPs. :tard:

Guess I can't do anything until tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i hope someone at ford made a mistake man. i wouldnt be able to sleep tonight. hope your matters get resolved bud. keep us posted

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
oof, now you have leverage, especially if you have the original paper work from when you bought the truck from the GM dealer stating it had 103K on it, with a date, then another date (later) from for doing the gaskets under warranty with a false mileage listed. Also all of this real mileage and dates are recorded with the DMV when you signed the papers on the truck so you have all the proof you need, the dealer did a couple shady things..I am willing to bet money, that in order for this not to be brought to the public and ford, they will rectify the problem, by installing the studs.

But once again, be level headed, don't jump right on to the leverage..

do me a favor though, on your post with the dealer name, please edit that post and remove the dealer name, it will be beneficial to you in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
oof, now you have leverage, especially if you have the original paper work from when you bought the truck from the GM dealer stating it had 103K on it, with a date, then another date (later) from for doing the gaskets under warranty with a false mileage listed. Also all of this real mileage and dates are recorded with the DMV when you signed the papers on the truck so you have all the proof you need, the dealer did a couple shady things..I am willing to bet money, that in order for this not to be brought to the public and ford, they will rectify the problem, by installing the studs.

But once again, be level headed, don't jump right on to the leverage..

do me a favor though, on your post with the dealer name, please edit that post and remove the dealer name, it will be beneficial to you in the long run.
I'll take care of the edit:thumb:

Edit: Looks like someone beat me too it

·
Banned
71 Posts
!

Lots of good info here. I agree from being in the dealer, go in with a level head. You have a lot of leverage with the info you have. Do me one favor though. When they do put your studs in like your supposed to keep in touch with them and find out when the heads are off. That way you can swing by and see it. Believe it or not guys have just slipped the studs in without replacing the gaskets. I know that it can be done but by god they better do you right after this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Good point about editing the dealer's name. No need to publicly bash them without giving them a chance to fix the situation. Name is edited now however I can't edit the Oasis history that got posted up by another person.

How does a warranty pay-out from Ford work? Does Ford just cut the dealer a check for however many hours the job should take by the books? Do they supply parts? Does the dealer make any money on warranty work (was this simply a favor or do they get something out of lying about the mileage???)

Obviously I've got no clue whether the head gaskets were replaced at this point but for all I know the dealer could be sitting on a $2,000+ check from Ford if they simply paid the dealer for the labor.

Notice the mileage and date discrepancy compared to the Oasis report above?

Appreciate all the helpful advice from everyone!

·
Banned
71 Posts
!

If you look at the head bolt in the picture between the 5 and 6 o'clock position you can see a paint marker mark. Thats what I use too only mine is bright blue. That is used to count the number of turns when your torqing the head. It appears that they did in fact do it. You need to find out if the head studs even made it to the ford dealer or if they were taken out at the chevy dealer.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
If you look at the head bolt in the picture between the 5 and 6 o'clock position you can see a paint marker mark. Thats what I use too only mine is bright blue. That is used to count the number of turns when your torqing the head. It appears that they did in fact do it. You need to find out if the head studs even made it to the ford dealer or if they were taken out at the chevy dealer.
Upon closer examination I agree I see the paint pen mark too. It was hard to tell with all the other white residue everywhere:doh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good point about the paint marks. Do the original bolts from when the engine was built not have any marks?

I also agree with you on finding out where my studs disappeared. I've been dealing with ONE guy at the dealer I bought the car from (since this issue arose) who I believe is one of the top guys at the dealership. Doesn't mean he's honest, but he didn't even know what the studs were. I was sitting in his office when he called his contact at the Ford dealer to ask if it would be OK to install studs if I supplied them.

I never dealt with anyone at the Ford dealer while my truck was there. Never saw it, and haven't gotten any paperwork from them yet. The Oasis report is the first written info I've seen that says the truck went to the Ford dealer. Dropped off at GM, picked up at GM.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts